Jump to solution

Can't go worse than my experience with Powerline adapters...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra Can't go worse than my experience with Powerline adapters! Tried those a number of years ago and had a very strange experience. Plugged them in and it worked okay for a few hours, then all of sudden my internet slowed to a crawl. Checked the Default Gateway address and noticed it changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254, so I went to the gateway address...and a Telus modem admin page came up. It somehow connected to my neighbours' network! I guess my neighbours were using powerline adapters and the signal was leaking out. So I had to return the powerline adapters!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

In theory, that could also happen with MoCA.

rstra
Grand Master

@ColtonW24 In theory, that could also happen with MoCA. 

Jump to solution

True, which is why it is important to use a MoCA filter! :-)

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra True, which is why it is important to use a MoCA filter! 🙂

Jump to solution

Well, I received the adapter about an hour ago. Plugged i...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra Well, I received the adapter about an hour ago. Plugged it into the coax in the desired room, plugged the ethernet cable into my PC and...no connection! I triple-checked that MoCA is enabled on the XB6 Gateway. So far I've tried the following:

• Unplug power from BlueCurve Gateway to ensure that it's MoCA network wasn't interfering in any way
  • Unplug coax from Digital Phone Terminal (it was connected to the same splitter as the XB6 so just wanted to be sure that wasn't interfering)
  • Rebooted the XB6

Unfortunately after that, still no MoCA connection. I will try taking out the splitter that the XB6 and DPT are connecting to so that the XB6 has a direct connection to the wall. Any further ideas?

I did a factory reset on the XB6 a few days ago, there I don't think there is much use in doing that again.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Is the coax that is connected to the moca adapter in the...

rstra
Grand Master

@ColtonW24 Is the coax that is connected to the moca adapter in the other room connected to a splitter? In other words, how is the cable in the room with the moca adapter connected to the other coax cables?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, it's through a splitter. There's definitely more tha...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra Yes, it's through a splitter. There's definitely more than one splitter in the chain.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So as a test, I connected the MoCA adapter to the same sp...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra So as a test, I connected the MoCA adapter to the same splitter that the XB6 is connected to and...it worked! So obviously there is something in the splitter chain that is preventing the MoCA signal from getting through. The various BlueCurve TV boxes in my house have no issues communicating with each other (over MoCA) so I don't think any of the splitters upstairs are causing it.

I think that there may be a MoCA filter behind the wall between the XB6 and the initial splitter (where the utilities come in). I could move the XB6 to where I have the BlueCurve PVR unit, as I know there are no issues with MoCA communication on that coax outlet. Will continue investigating.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is the outlet the XB6 was connected to...looks like...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra This is the outlet the XB6 was connected to...looks like the end of MoCA filter doesn't it?

coaxOutlet.jpg

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No, that is an F81 connector. Do all the cables in the ho...

rstra
Grand Master

@ColtonW24 No, that is an F81 connector. Do all the cables in the house go to the box outside?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, they all do. The room I'm wanting to use the MoCA ad...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra Yes, they all do. The room I'm wanting to use the MoCA adapter in has an existing BlueCurve TV "portal" box connected to the same outlet.

So there is likely a MoCA filter on one of the outputs of the first initial splitter. I wonder if a MoCA filter was put on the output that connects to the rest of the splitters in the house, to avoid any leakage from the BlueCurve TV's MoCA signal. I can try moving the XB6 to where the BlueCurve PVR is and see if it works there. But at that point...I might as well just move the XB6 upstairs to the room where my PC is and direct connect it to ethernet.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help