Blue Curve Modem in Bridge mode

korak
Grasshopper

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around something regarding Bridge Mode on the Blue Curve.  If I ENABLE bridge mode on the Blue Curve:

Will it stop transmitting wifi to my other bluesky tv wireless boxes thus making them non-functional?

Will it stop acting as the router for my home network meaning I will have to change all my existing static IPs?

I'm trying to set up the Netgear Orbi as my mesh system in the house and want to make it as effective as possible.

Thanks!

Dyrek

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

thank you for your questions!

shaw-tony

@korak thank you for your questions! 

@korak wrote:

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around something regarding Bridge Mode on the Blue Curve.  If I ENABLE bridge mode on the Blue Curve:

Will it stop transmitting wifi to my other bluesky tv wireless boxes thus making them non-functional?

• Yes, it will stop transmitting WiFi to your wireless BlueCurve TV boxes and they will be non-functional.

Will it stop acting as the router for my home network meaning I will have to change all my existing static IPs?

• Yes, ths will occur as it disables the WiFi completely.

I'm trying to set up the Netgear Orbi as my mesh system in the house and want to make it as effective as possible.

Thanks!

Dyrek

0 Kudos

You did not answer the final question.  I too had the pre...

dianeanderson
Grasshopper

You did not answer the final question. 
I too had the previous Shaw Arris box and used it in bridge mode as it could cover my house size in wifi. I used the Orbi Mesh and it worked fabulously covering not just my house but also the patio area. 
Upgraded to Blue Curve and now cannot use the Orbi .... I had assumed (wrongly!) that Blue Curve would have adequate area coverage of my house..... not so ...

now what do O do to get reasonable high speed coverage around the house. 
also the advertised 750 speed barely hits a 100 during busy times. If I go to the advertised 1 or 1.5 g I presume it will be the same. ????

argh!

0 Kudos

What is the question that was not answered?

rstra
Grand Master

@dianeanderson What is the question that was not answered?

0 Kudos

-- the advertised 750 speed barely hits a 100 during busy...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dianeanderson -- the advertised 750 speed barely hits a 100 during busy times.

Check the printing that is longitudinally on the Ethernet cables that you are using.

If you see "CAT-5", such cables are only certified up to 100 Mbps.

If you see "CAT-5e", such cables are certified up to 1000 Mbps. You will need such cables if you go to the advertised 1 Gbps speed.

If you see "CAT-6" or "C6",  such cables support the highest speeds, i.e., much faster than the "Shaw Gig+" 1.5 Gbit/second speed.  However, the Ethernet network adapter in your computer probably supports only 10/100/1000 speeds, not 1500 Mbps. If you are simultaneously downloading on more than one computer, the sum of the received bytes could achieve a total of 1500 Mbps.

If you put the Shaw modem into bridging mode you would th...

rickatk
Master

@korak  If you put the Shaw modem into bridging mode you would then would rely on the Orbi Mesh routers to make up your wifi network. The wireless TV players  should connect to the Orbi network. 

Shaw has tightly integrated their gear to work together. Inserting other products into the mix may have varied results including loss of features and support on the wifi end. Effectively you do so at your own risk.

When I was thinking about improving my network coverage I seriously considered Orbi. This was before Shaw built out their product line, adding pods, wireless tv players and the home networking app. 

Give it a try, let us know how you make out.

Yes you are right.I used ORBI when I had the Arris.But no...

amber5526
Grasshopper

Yes you are right.I used ORBI when I had the Arris.But now with Bluecurve, agent said no need to use third party  router,instead using Shaw Pod. Good for Shaw, in selling products. Spent $10 on pod , and the speed is not as good as before.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help