Blue Curve Modem Port 2

Mhoffman
Grasshopper

Hi, I just got the BlueCurve with 2 wireless TV portals. I want to be able to run my own Velop wireless mesh router system. From what I understand I cannot put the BlueCurve modem into bridge mode as the TV portals will then not work. Is this true or is there a way to put it into bridge mode and the portal will still work - without running ethernet cable to the portals?

Right now I have the system up and running with the "Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network" box checked under Hardware, LAN in the modem setting. I expected this to completely open up and pass through to my Velop system, essentially putting port 2 into bridge mode without blocking anything however I have an IP camera that is not functioning. I can view the camera from within the network, but not externally. This means that ports are being blocked. I have the ports forwarded within the Velop, but it appears either Shaw or BlueCurve is blocking them. 

So to summarize, I either need to figure out how to run BlueCurve in bridge mode and still have the TV portals work, or resolve whatever is blocking my ports that I have forwarded. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Yes, that is correct. The wireless BlueCurve TV portals w...

shaw-tony

@Mhoffman Yes, that is correct. The wireless BlueCurve TV portals will not work if you bridge the Bluecurve modem. I am not aware of any supported solutions that would help. However, other Community members may chime into this.

0 Kudos

>  I expected this to completely open up and pass through...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I expected this to completely open up and pass through to my Velop system ...

Yes, it should. If you login to your Velop device, you should see a "public" IP-address on its "uplink" port, typically starting with "24." or "96.", e.g., "24.68.0.0" or "96.54.12.34".

You should also see that its DHCP-server is handing-out "private" IP-addresses to your devices (computers, camera, mobile devices).

> I have an IP camera that is not functioning. I can view the camera from within the network ...

So far, so good.

> but not externally.

Can you configure your Velop to "log" all blocked incoming TCP/IP connection attempts? If so, then from a computer connected to "Port ONE" on your BlueCurve, try to connect to port "65432" on the Shaw-assigned IP-address of your Velox, and then browse that "log-file", looking for the string "65432". If you see entries, then nothing on that port is being blocked from reaching your Velox. Also, from that computer on "Port ONE", use the "tracert" command to view the "path" from that computer to the IP-address of your Velox, to see if *any* "unsolicited" IP-packets reach the Velox.

> I have the ports forwarded within the Velop, but it appears either Shaw or BlueCurve is blocking them.

I doubt that Shaw is blocking any specific ports -- applications like "Bit-Torrent" would be blocked, if Shaw was blocking.

0 Kudos

I appreciate the help MDK. I wouldn't say I'm a beginner...

Mhoffman
Grasshopper

I appreciate the help MDK. I wouldn't say I'm a beginner at this stuff but I'm obviously not as advanced as you. Some further assistance may be required.

>Yes, it should. If you login to your Velop device, you should see a "public" IP-address on its "uplink" port, typically starting with "24." or "96.", e.g., "24.68.0.0" or "96.54.12.34".

In my Velop I see it's IP address starts with a 172, which unfortunately in my research means that is a local IP address, not public. Correct? This may be the source of the issue and that the ports also need to be opened on the BlueCurve.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/785/

Step 3 at that link indicates this might be my issue.

http://www.pcwintech.com/common-problems-fixes-port-forwarding

I used the router tester on this page which confirms I am only behind one router, which to me does not agree with my conclusion above.

>Can you configure your Velop to "log" all blocked incoming TCP/IP connection attempts?

Yes I can turn the log on in the Velop. 

>If so, then from a computer connected to "Port ONE" on your BlueCurve, try to connect to port "65432" on the Shaw-assigned IP-address of your Velox, and then browse that "log-file", looking for the string "65432". If you see entries, then nothing on that port is being blocked from reaching your Velox. Also, from that computer on "Port ONE", use the "tracert" command to view the "path" from that computer to the IP-address of your Velox, to see if *any* "unsolicited" IP-packets reach the Velox.

This is where you lost me.

I can say that all that changed when I flipped over from Telus to Shaw is ther service and the router/modem. I use myIP dynamic DNS service. That did not change nor did settings in my velop, the port forward rules remain intact.

Unfortunately I am not sure how to setup the port forwarding on the BlueCurve, if that is what I need to do. Because my router is plugged into port 2, I don't even see if being connected within BlueCurve, so I cannot click the button that says select a connected device to add IPV4 and IPV6 address and I am not sure what to put in there to do it manually. I guess the alternative would be to uncheck the "Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network" button and actually hide behind the bluecurve router which then I might be able to setup the port forwarding but that might introduce other issues as well.

Do you have any other guidance?

0 Kudos

I understand Shaw does state the BlueCurve wireless porta...

Brose
Grasshopper

I understand Shaw does state the BlueCurve wireless portals will not function on Bridge mode.

I currently have my Shaw modem setup in bridge mode, and running Netgear Orbi mesh system. No issues with any of my cameras, internet speeds. The portals does randomly lose connection for very short period (not very often), but I'm suspecting that's more of the cloud issue vs the setup? But hey, maybe it would be perfect if there wasn't a 3rd party router.

However, I was surprised the portals were able to complete its setup behind my router.

0 Kudos

I should add, I am fortunate to have a home network where...

Brose
Grasshopper

I should add, I am fortunate to have a home network where the Orbi Satellites are wired, and the TV portals are wired into those. Should that make a difference? Shouldn't, the Orbi is still doing all the management, be it wired or wireless.

0 Kudos

Hello, I'm sorry to resurrect this after so long, but I'm...

Kiesmander
Grasshopper

Hello, I'm sorry to resurrect this after so long, but I'm having almost the exact same issue. Did you ever get it fixed?

0 Kudos

The first part regarding the portals connecting, I think...

Mhoffman
Grasshopper

The first part regarding the portals connecting, I think it is now setup in standard mode, not bridge mode, and I just have the Wi-Fi name that the Shaw modem outputs hidden. So the portals connect but no one can see the wifi. My velop is connected into port 2 and it is functioning fine as it’s own network.

The 2nd part regarding port forwarding and ip cams, no. I gave up. There is better technology out now and prices have come down, like ring stickup cam or equivalent, that makes ip cams obsolete in my opinion. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help