Blue Curve Router does not allow DNS settings

JohnAraujo
Grasshopper

Why in hell the DNS settings options is not allowed in Shaw Blue Curve Router? 

Is there a way to circumvent this without buying new hardware? 

Is there any other options available for Shaw 600 other than this router?  

Labels (1)
16 Replies

> Is there a way to circumvent this without buying new ha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Is there a way to circumvent this without buying new hardware? 

It is possible to configure Windows 10 to use your desired DNS settings on your computer.

0 Kudos

I asked this same thing when moving to my new apartment a...

RuneDemomn
Grasshopper

I asked this same thing when moving to my new apartment and getting the new modems. The new modems "blue curve" are designed to work with those curve pods that boost your wifi. According to the 2-3 reps I talked with the DNS settings, if changed on the modem, would conflict with their connectivity to the modem.

It's very concerning and disappointing that we can't manually change the settings on our modems if we never plan to use the pods or be forced to downgrade. This was  not a problem before in the past and only came with their Blue Curve modems.

The only thing you can do is set the DNS manually on all your devices in your home.

0 Kudos

> The new "blue curve" modems are designed to work with t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The new "blue curve" modems are designed to work with those curve pods that boost your wifi.

That is correct. They "repeat" the WiFi signal to span a larger square-footage inside your home, and to provide better signals in some rooms that are far from the BlueCurve modem.

> According to the 2-3 reps I talked with the DNS settings, if changed on the modem, would conflict with their connectivity to the modem.

That must be what they have been trained to say, but I don't believe their statement, because you can conduct an experiment: disconnect the BlueCurve modem's coaxial-cable, to prevent it from accessing any DNS-server anywhere on the Internet.  Then, power-off/power-on the BlueCurve, to reset it. Then, power-off/power-on each of the pods to reset them. Then, take your WiFi device(s) all over your home, to see if you can connect to the WiFi pods, and/or to the BlueCurve's WiFi. I believe that you will be able to connect to your WiFi network, from anywhere in your home. Of course, you will get "local network only" status, but your device will be connected to the WiFi's SSID -- no matter what DNS-servers (on the Internet) are NOT accessible.

Better than setting each hosts dns manually, you *could*...

btherio
Grasshopper

Better than setting each hosts dns manually, you *could* buy a router, attach it in between your LAN and the bluecurve router, using the WAN port, then have your hosts grab their dhcp from your router instead of theirs. I think this is what I'm going to do. Unfortunately means buying new hardware. Fortunately means keeping control of your network. Also, I'm unsure what their "Bluecurve advanced security" actually is, but having a 3rd party modem in the middle will negate any need to purchase that addon.

0 Kudos

Why is the DNS locked out still?

DaftCzar
Grasshopper

Why is the DNS locked out still?

0 Kudos

-- this is a user-to-user discussion forum, not a direct...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DaftCzar -- this is a user-to-user discussion forum, not a direct path to Shaw Support.

I doubt that any current Shaw employee who wants to remain employed by Shaw will give you any "company confidential" information, in response to your "why" question.

IMHO, it is what it is, even though the 45th President won't accept the USA voters' decision.

As mentioned by @btherio (above), there is a bypass that works.

0 Kudos

I haven't tested your suggestion, but just thinking out l...

realm174
Grasshopper

I haven't tested your suggestion, but just thinking out loud, doing as you suggest would work for any device on "this side" of your network, in other words, any device you would attach to your new router.  Assuming your router is wifi, and your wifi devices also connect to it, that renders the pods useless. And if your wifi device connects to the pod, then you'll get Shaw's DNS server on those devices.

0 Kudos

--  if your wifi device connects to the pod, then you'll...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@realm174 --  if your wifi device connects to the pod, then you'll get Shaw's DNS server on those devices.

I disagree. The pods just send/receive WiFi signals -- they don't access any DNS-servers for their "own" usage.

If your WiFi-enabled device has been "manually" configured to use specific DNS-servers, it will query those servers -- the DNS-requests will go "through" the pod, without modification.

If your WiFi-enabled devices uses DHCP, the DHCP-response will contain the IP-address(es) of the "preferred" DNS-server(s). If your device is configured to "automatically" use that returned information, it will. If it is "manually" configured, it will not use that returned information.

Well, my source is probably biased (Shaw support), but wh...

realm174
Grasshopper

@mdkWell, my source is probably biased (Shaw support), but what I've been told is that the pods will only connect to a hidden SSID (the modem) and therefore, would pick up the info from that modem and not from your own wifi...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help