Jump to solution

BlueCurve modem bridge mode

dorkstick
Grasshopper

Having quite the day with support on using bridge mode on my BlueCurve modem.

Some background. Been on the BlueCurve modem for a couple of years now almost and have gone through the iterations of their top speed package and I am now on the latest fibre/gig one. Every now and again the internet in my house would go down and I would contact support and they would reset it and everything back to normal. On the last one they suggested swapping out the modem. This now brings me to this morning when I thought it would be a great time to change it over while everyone was still asleep and not using the internet. 

Once I provisioned the new modem and changed it over to be bridged my network would not connect and get an address from the BlueCurve modem. Contacted support and after two agents and 4 hours the agent informs me that bridge mode is not supported and basically that's it. Nothing more. 

I'm a bit taken back by this whole thing and not sure how to proceed as I'm not just gonna get rid of what I'm using currently for my internal network:

• Ubiquiti USG UiFi Security Gateway
  • Ubiquiti UniFi Managed Gigabit Switch
  • Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro Access Point
  • Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key Gen 2
  • Ubiquiti UniFi UAP Beacon Access Point

And I have been considering adding in Ubiquiti's external camera solution to the system as well so I'm not all that keen on having to dump all of this as per what the second agent was pretty much saying. 

Not sure how to proceed here with this. Looking for suggestions. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- my network would not connect and get an address from t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dorkstick -- my network would not connect and get an address from the BlueCurve modem.

If the BlueCurve is "bridged", then the DHCP-requests from your networked devices will "cross the bridge", and get a response from Shaw's DHCP-server -- not the (now disabled) DHCP-server inside the BlueCurve modem.

Have you powered-off all your devices, including the BlueCurve, and then powered-on only the BlueCurve, to let it fully restart. Then, one-by-one, power-on each of your devices, and see if that device makes a DHCP-request, and processes the response, i.e., gets assigned a "publiic" IP-address.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

-- my network would not connect and get an address from t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dorkstick -- my network would not connect and get an address from the BlueCurve modem.

If the BlueCurve is "bridged", then the DHCP-requests from your networked devices will "cross the bridge", and get a response from Shaw's DHCP-server -- not the (now disabled) DHCP-server inside the BlueCurve modem.

Have you powered-off all your devices, including the BlueCurve, and then powered-on only the BlueCurve, to let it fully restart. Then, one-by-one, power-on each of your devices, and see if that device makes a DHCP-request, and processes the response, i.e., gets assigned a "publiic" IP-address.

Jump to solution

I have my home network back online! Pretty happy now as I...

dorkstick
Grasshopper

I have my home network back online! Pretty happy now as I am working 100% from home now and having everything working is essential.

What I ended up doing was pretty much what you have suggested with the addition of resetting all the UniFi devices back to factory defaults and rebuilt the network back up. Not sure what would have caused the initial issue outside of something not right somewhere with all the configuration changes earlier today while online with support. 

Still not happy with the second support resource telling me about bridge mode not being supported anymore.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Still not happy with the second support resource telli...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dorkstick -- Still not happy with the second support resource telling me about bridge mode not being supported anymore.

By "not supported", do they mean that the Shaw employees have not been trained to help their customers who want to "bridge" their cable-modem? 

Certainly, the cable-modem's internal software can be configured into "bridged" mode (unless Shaw has downloaded different internal software to remove that feature).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help