BlueCurve modem: constant noisy fan and gives off heat

annepar2
Grasshopper

My Bluecurve modem is so noisy and it gives off heat which in a small room is totally unacceptable! I have had it for a couple of months and will not continue. My Telus modem was silent. I switched to Shaw for faster speed which in my rural area Telus does not provide. I've asked for and am getting a Bluecurve replacement, which I will try but I feel badly for Shaw spending time and money to mail me a replacement when obviously it's the make/model that is the problem. Once I try the replacement, and of course it will be noisy and hot, then I probably buy my own modem. I don't want to go down that road, but I'm not yet on contract with Shaw as I wanted to wait and ensure the speed/service is good - and so far it's great! - but the modem has to go. Plus if not on contract, I'm paying $10/mo. to 'rent' the modem. I'll post an update on resolving the issue.

Labels (1)
21 Replies

-- My Bluecurve modem is so noisy and it gives off heat w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@annepar2 -- My Bluecurve modem is so noisy and it gives off heat which in a small room is totally unacceptable!

The BlueCurve's noisy fan is a common thread on this discussion forum. Some people have gotten a different BlueCurve from Shaw -- same model, but different serial-number.

> I probably [will] buy my own modem.

I don't know if Shaw will allow any "foreign" modem to be connected to their network.

There are a few alternatives:

1. Downgrade to 300 Mbps download (and 15 Mbps upload) with Shaw's Hitron modem. It is fanless, and not hot..
  2. Wait for Shaw to roll-out their new XB7 in your area.
  3. Switch to Shaw Business, and you'll get a Hitron modem (no fan, 4 Ethernet ports, WiFi) that is _not_ the same Hitron that Shaw Residential customers get.

Note that only a few Internet sites can "push" data to your cable-modem at speeds above 300 Mbps. Getting "Fibre+ Gig" seems to be excessive, unless you have a house-full of working-from-home "boomerang" adult-children.

Good luck!

Thanks for response and good info. - new modem coming (Sh...

annepar2
Grasshopper

Thanks for response and good info.

- new modem coming (Shaw Chat help was very efficient and easy), 

- currently with Fibre+300 (altho it isn't fibre, not available in rural) but will look into business plan, and request different Hitron/XB7 modem if this replacement is still a problem

-Speed/reliability is excellent. How did you know my boomerang daughter is here?! 🙂 fled the big city and no-attendance university to finish one degree and start PhD - includes one roomie also finishing post secondary degree - both have virtual work as research and teaching assistants - oh and her cat!  With all the devices and high usage, plus I live in a separate studio using an extender,  Fibre+300 has no issues.

Will post again with hopefully a viable solution!

Thanks again

-- currently with Fibre+300 (altho it isn't fibre, not av...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@annepar2 -- currently with Fibre+300 (altho it isn't fibre, not available in rural)

Shaw's usage of "Fibre+" is just a marketing term, to describe that 99% of Shaw's network is fiber-optic cable, with the "last mile" into your home uses coaxial cable.  Shaw customers in Calgary (and maybe elsewhere, soon) can get fiber-optic cable directly into their home. Telus uses "fiber" in their advertising, and Shaw now uses "fibre+" for their "hybrid" distribution system.

> How did you know my boomerang daughter is here?

Ha, ha, ha. I live in a city where the local University is a major employer. It's always in the news -- foreign students staying home, rather than renting accommodation in private homes in this city, or living in the Student Residences, and students campaigning for lower fees, since they feel that remote-learning is not worth as much as in-person classes.

Earlier this week, it was in the news that one remotely-taught class was watching lectures recorded in 2019. When the student tried to contact the professor, it was revealed that the professor had died. The university claims that the professor's "work-product" was created by their employee (the professor) and they retained all rights to use it, even after his death.

As expected, the new BlueCurve mailed to me from Shaw is...

annepar2
Grasshopper

As expected, the new BlueCurve mailed to me from Shaw is just as noisy with a continuous fan and gives off heat, exactly the same as the old one. Ah well, worth a try. Next step - string a few meters of cable to move the darn thing to another room that won't bother anyone as much. Also get on the list for the next upgrade modem and pray it doesn't whir all day! 

Thanks for the tips 

-- on TV, when there is a band in a studio, such as "The...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@annepar2 -- on TV, when there is a band in a studio, such as "The Roots" playing for Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show, there is a plexiglass surround in front of the drum-kit, to direct some of the volume "upwards", rather than "forward", to overpower the other instruments. So, now that plexiglass sheets are everywhere, as anti-COVID physical barriers, maybe such a "wall" around the BlueCurve could deflect some of the noise.  Of course, the BlueCurve needs "ventilation", for room-temperature air to be fanned through the "hot-stuff" inside the BlueCurve. So, do not place this "shield" too close to the BlueCurve.

On the other hand, my HITRON cable-modem is quiet. It seems to max-out at 300 Mbps downloads, and 15 Mbps uploads, whereas the BlueCurve, in some regions, can do 100 Mbps uploads -- if that is the feature that you need.  Maybe, Shaw can still provide you with a (refurbished?) HITRON ???

Good suggestion - ask about a Hitron. The BlueCurve meets...

annepar2
Grasshopper

Good suggestion - ask about a Hitron. The BlueCurve meets our needs no problem but just can't stand the noise/heat.  Thanks, Anne

Maybe they are mining crypto on it

ehsan_mm
Grasshopper

Maybe they are mining crypto on it

0 Kudos

Shaw's Solution

burbleboatmen
Grasshopper

Same issue here too with BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem

Shaw is sending an XB7 as a solution: hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes. The XB7 has an external power su...

rstra
Grand Master

@burbleboatmen 

Let us know how it goes. The XB7 has an external power supply, so it should help. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help