Jump to solution

I have the same problem, my router was working fine until...

winnieew
Grasshopper

I have the same problem, my router was working fine until i put my shaw modem into bridge mode.... now even when i disable bridge mode my modem isnt working. help

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I've tried exactly what you've suggested, and nope, the r...

Vortex
Grasshopper

@mdk 

I've tried exactly what you've suggested, and nope, the router still isn't able to get an IP, but the laptop did.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- my modem is not working. Can you please provide more d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winnieew -- my modem is not working.

Can you please provide more details? Which lamps on the modem are lit-up, which are blinking regularly, which are blinking erratically, and which are dark?

After you disable "bridge" mode, disconnect all Ethernet cables from the cable-modem, power-off the cable-modem, and wait 30 seconds. Power-on the cable-modem, and let the cable-modem fully restart. Then, to the cable-modem, reconnect just one Ethernet cable, namely to a computer, and restart the computer. It should obtain a "private" IP-address from the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- the router still isn't able to get an IP, but the lapt...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Vortex -- the router still isn't able to get an IP, but the laptop did.

Were the router and the laptop both connected via Ethernet cables to the cable-modem, when the cable-modem was restarted?

1. disconnect the Ethernet cable between the router and the cable-modem,
  2. power-off the router,
  3. disable the laptop's WiFi -- for the purposes of this experiment, we don't want the laptop to try to make a WiFi connection,
  4. disconnect the Ethernet cable from the laptop,
  5. power-off the laptop,
  6. power-off the cable-modem, and wait 30 seconds,
  7. reconnect the power to the cable-modem, and allow it to completely restart,
  8. power-on the router, and let it completely restart,
  9. connect an Ethernet cable from the laptop to one of the 4(?) "LAN" ports on the router, to confirm that the router is supplying a "private" IP-address to the laptop,
  10. on the laptop, confirm that Windows 10 is reporting "only local connectivity" or "no network connection",
  11. connect an Ethernet cable from the "uplink" (or "WAN") port on the router to the cable-modem,
  12. on the laptop, confirm that Windows 10 is now reporting "Internet access",
  13. disconnect the Ethernet cable leading to the laptop from your router,
  14. connect that Ethernet cable to the other port on your cable-modem,
  15. confirm that Windows 10 is now reporting "Internet access" (or is it reporting something else?)

Jump to solution

sure, I've sent your details over to our engineers to upd...

shaw-tony

@Vortex sure, I've sent your details over to our engineers to update. Please power reset your modem 24 hours from now and try the setup again.

@animism @winnieew I've sent your details off as well just in case it's the resolution to your issue. The modems should be assigning an IP once you bridge the modem and power reset the connections. Again, please wait 24 hours from now to try the process.

Update: Patches are pushed now at 9:23 AM PT. Let me know how it goes.

Jump to solution

thank you  for the reply, this is much appreciated. I tri...

Vortex
Grasshopper

thank you @mdk for the reply, this is much appreciated.

I tried the above and here are my results for each step.

steps 1-8, done.

9. yes, a 192.x private IP is assigned to the laptop.

10. yep, no internet, only local.

11-12, nope, still no internet. Checking the router's WAN IP, it reports as 0.0.0.0. I've power cycled the router multiple times, same result.

13-15, yes, the laptop can connect to the internet and is assigned a 24.x IP address by Shaw.

Some additional info: 

With the xb6 in router mode, the wan IP the XB6 gets is a 174.x IP address and both wired and wireless devices connected to the xb6 can get online. With the xb6 in bridge mode and I plug in a laptop directly into the xb6, i get a 24.x IP on the laptop with internet access as well.  If i just attach a router to the xb6, the router won't get a WAN IP. If I have both the router and the laptop plugged into the xb6 in bridge mode, the laptop will get online with a 24.x IP, the router gets no WAN IP.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you  !! I will give it a go tomorrow. :-)

Vortex
Grasshopper

Thank you @shaw-tony !! I will give it a go tomorrow. 🙂 

Jump to solution

in addition to the patch, I noticed you may have somethin...

shaw-tony

@animism in addition to the patch, I noticed you may have something plugged into port #2 along with your router plugged into port #1. Please remove what's plugged into port #2 as it would cause issues for your router to grab an IP. If you need both ports to have an available IP, you will need to contact our customer support to add a secondary IP for free. Once you do that, touch base with me so we can reload the patch.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- With the xb6 in router mode, the wan IP the XB6 gets i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Vortex -- With the xb6 in router mode, the wan IP the XB6 gets is a 174.x IP address and both wired and wireless devices connected to the xb6 can get online.

Exactly as should happen. Each device gets a "private" IP-address.

It is a little strange that the "public" IP-addresses, as assigned by Shaw, either start with "24" or "174". I would have expected that you would ONLY see "24" IP-addresses.

> With the xb6 in bridge mode and I plug in a laptop directly into the xb6, i get a 24.x IP on the laptop with internet access as well. 

If your Shaw account is provisioned for exactly one "public" IP-address, this is exactly what should happen.

> If i just attach a router to the xb6, the router won't get a WAN IP.

Did you:

1. power-off the cable-modem,
  2. power-off the router,
  3. disconnect the Ethernet cable connecting to the laptop,
  4. power-on the cable-modem, and let it completely restart,
  5. power-on the router, and let it completely restart,
  6. power-on your computer, and let it completely restart,
  7. connect your computer to one of the LAN ports on the router,
  8. login to the router, to see the 0.0.0.0 IP-address on the WAN port,
  9. connect the WAN port on the router to a LAN port on the cable-modem,
  10. on the computer, refresh the "status" page on the router, to see if the WAN IP-address has changed away from being 0.0.0.0 to something starting with "24",
  11. on your computer, check that it now has full Internet access.

Now, disconnect the computer's Ethernet cable from your router, and connect it to one of the LAN ports on the cable-modem. If your account, and your cable-modem, are correctly provisioned for TWO IP-addresses, your computer should now have a "24" IP-address.  If your account and your cable-modem are provisioned for just ONE IP-address, the laptop will not have Internet access.

If I have both the router and the laptop plugged into the xb6 in bridge mode, the laptop will get online with a 24.x IP, the router gets no WAN IP.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey  why isn’t the patch just pushed out to all XB6s?

rstra
Grand Master

Hey @shaw-tony why isn’t the patch just pushed out to all XB6s?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help