Jump to solution

so, I did another test. With the XB6 in bridge mode and t...

Vortex
Grasshopper

@mdk @shaw-tony 

so, I did another test. With the XB6 in bridge mode and two PCs plugged directly into the modem with RJ45, each PC is getting an unique 24.x IP address.

If I log onto the XB6 admin page 10.11.12.1 and check under Gateway > Connection > Shaw Network, I see that the XB6's WAN IP is still showing 174.x and default gateway set to 174.x. Would that suggest that somehow that the 174.x address is effectively a 3rd IP address that got associated with the account? In any event, it doesn't seem to prevent me from getting two unique 24.x addresses when I plug in two PCs, but I just can't get any WAN IP address on a Linksys router plugged into the XB6.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- why isn't the patch just pushed out to all XB6 ? Has S...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- why isn't the patch just pushed out to all XB6 ?

Has Shaw's "Quality Control" approved the "patch" ?

Does it only affect some customers? Maybe, only those who "bridge" the modem? Maybe, only those who have been provisioned with more than one IP-address?  Maybe, the patch is applicable only to some "revision level" of the XB6 hardware/firmware?

Inquiring minds need to know. 🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  I see that the XB6's WAN IP is still showing 174.x an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Vortex --  I see that the XB6's WAN IP is still showing 174.x and default gateway set to 174.x.

Can you please supply 3/4 of each IP-address, e.g., "174.12.34.x" ?

With that information, a search at www.arin/whois should reveal the "owner" of that range of IP-addresses.

> Would that suggest that somehow that the 174.x address is effectively a 3rd IP address that got associated with the account?

Yes, a third, and a fourth, because the non-bridged cable-modem needs a "public" IP-address, to be reachable on the Internet, and it needs to send all outgoing packets to a "gateway", usually "aaa.bbb.ccc.1" is the pattern that Shaw uses for its routers.

> In any event, it doesn't seem to prevent me from getting two unique 24.x addresses when I plug in two PCs, but I just can't get any WAN IP address on a Linksys router plugged into the XB6.

If you connect two PCs, there are 2 IP-addresses going through your "bridged" router.

If you disconnect one PC, there still are 2 IP-addresses "known" to your "bridged" router, not "1". But, before you disconnect one PC, use the Windows command-line utility: IPCONFIG /RELEASE to tell Shaw that you are "returning" an IP-address to Shaw's DHCP-server.

Then, you need to power-cycle the cable-modem to get it to "forget" the two IP-addresses that were previously "known" to it.

After restarting the modem, if you connect your router, while both your computers are disconnected, then the router should  get one of the 2 available IP-addresses.

Jump to solution

“With that information, a search at www.arin/whois should...

rstra
Grand Master

With that information, a search at www.arin/whois should reveal the "owner" of that range of IP-addresses“

That is a Shaw IP.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

this is a work in progress, I don't have an ETA when the...

shaw-tony

@rstra this is a work in progress, I don't have an ETA when the global patch will be executed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update Tony.

rstra
Grand Master

Thanks for the update Tony.

Jump to solution

I've just released the public IP from the PC as well. I p...

Vortex
Grasshopper

I've just released the public IP from the PC as well. I power cycled the modem just now, and still no WAN IP when I plug in a router.

@shaw-tony I did a reset of the xb6 last night. Would that have defeated the patch that was pushed to my modem? is there a way to check at 10.0.0.1 to see whether the patch is still there?  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Apologies for the late reply, I was on vacation for a wee...

animism
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony @mdk 

Apologies for the late reply, I was on vacation for a week... I just reset my modem and tested with pfSense after the patch and am happy to report that I am now getting a working WAN IP and Gateway! So, thank you very much for your help with that.

Some notes:

- I do not require a 2nd IP and did not have anything plugged into Port 2 of the XB6 as @shaw-tony suggested.

- Before the patch, when things weren't working, and when I had the WAN MAC of the XB6 applied to my pfSense WAN, I noticed the IP I got was on a different subnet than the Gateway. Not sure what that was about, but thought I'd mention it.

- Thanks again!

Jump to solution

-- Would that have defeated the patch that was pushed to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Vortex -- Would that have defeated the patch that was pushed to my modem?

Doubtful.

A software update permanently updates your modem.

Compare it to adding more RAM into your desktop computer. Once added, the RAM is perpetually present.

> is there a way to check at 10.0.0.1 ?

I am not sure about your BlueCurve, but on the "Status" page on the Hitron cable-modem, I see:

Overview

This menu displays important information of the device

System Overview

Hardware Version: 1A

Software Version: 4.5.11.16b1

The "b1" does not mean "beta-software" -- no more than James Kirk captained the NCC-1701, the NCC-1701A, and the NCC-1701B.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have been having a similar issue where plugging in my r...

skeight
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony I have been having a similar issue where plugging in my router doesn't give an IP but my PC does. Is this patch applied to everyone now or is it only when needed? If you want more testers I would love to try it out as I have been battling these problems for months now.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help