Jump to solution

-- I have been having a similar issue where plugging in m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@skeight -- I have been having a similar issue where plugging in my router doesn't give an IP but my PC does.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your PC.

Disconnect the electrical power from the router.

Wait 30 seconds, and reconnect the electrical power, and let the router completely restart.

Connect your third-party router to one of the LAN ports on the "bridged" router. It should obtain a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server.

Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports on your own router. The PC should obtain a "private" IP-address from the DHCP-server inside your own router. Then, logon to the web-server inside your own router, to confirm that it has obtained an IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server.

The reason is that the Shaw cable-modem does the "enforcement" of how many IP-addresses are allowed to go "through" the "bridged" Shaw cable-modem. Once you connect your PC, your limit of "one" device is achieved. Disconnecting the PC, and connecting your own router requests a "second" IP-address, which the "enforcement" inside the Shaw cable-modem is not allowing, until you power-off/power-on the cable-modem, to reset its "enforcement".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the insight about how...

skeight
Grasshopper

@mdk Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the insight about how the multiple IPs work. I will try that when I get home but I have been plagued with this getting locked up for months and it seems like an issue with the modem.

I came across this thread this morning after having issues again. I have been using my router fine for a few weeks now until again last night at 1am (we were all sleeping but I can see in the logs). No internet this morning. No public IP on the router or my PC (not at the same time) even after power cycles of everything.

Support reprovisioned my modem in the system and then it started working again for my PC. Tried switching back to router but didn't power cycle so that might explain it.

Maybe it was a one off today but this same thing has been happening for months and very frustrating.

Seems weird to me that the bluecurve gets into this locked up state where it won't give a public IP even after power cycles and this seemed to be connected. I had a tech out at one point and he mentioned the known issues with these bluecurve modems too so it's really making me wonder....

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I will try that when I get home, but I have been plag...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@skeight --  I will try that when I get home, but I have been plagued with this getting locked up for months and it seems like an issue with the modem.

Yes, it is the modem that is "enforcing" the number of public IP-addresses that are allowed to go "through" the modem.

>  until again last night at 1am (we were all sleeping but I can see in the logs). No internet this morning. No public IP on the router or my PC (not at the same time) even after power cycles of everything.

Shaw announces "maintenance" windows of time, usually around 1 AM (Calgary time) that they say will cause interruptions.

Was there an electrical "power-bump" in your home around 1 AM? Is your cable-modem protected by a surge-protector, or by a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) ?  A power-bump that reaches your cable-modem could have "locked-it-up" so much that a reprovisioning to reload the cable-modem's program was necessary. Maybe, it was a "one-off" thing.

> this same thing has been happening for months 

I recommend that you spend about $50 to add a UPS to your setup. Money well-spent, if it relieves your frustration.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I haven't been made aware of the specific ETA of when the...

shaw-tony

@skeight I haven't been made aware of the specific ETA of when the global patch will happen. I'd be happy to investigate this with you. Send me a message with your details.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This sounds exactly like the issue I was having with my m...

dorkstick
Grasshopper

This sounds exactly like the issue I was having with my modem and the same thing I had to do each time it would happen over the course of a year. I'd say it was at least 6 times it occured.

On the last time it happened I talked to the technician about the amount of times it was occurring and they sent out a replacement modem. After some drama getting that going the modem has been solid ever since and I don't get the modem not working in the middle of night anymore. 

Jump to solution

I did the power cycle and router is back up and running,...

skeight
Grasshopper

@mdk I did the power cycle and router is back up and running, makes sense why it didn't work before with just switching the network cable.

I'm not aware of any power issues last night but I don't have surge protection on the modem so I will add that in or maybe a small ups like you suggested. Easily worth it as this has been painful.

Really appreciate it, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Jump to solution

Have this same issue with my Unifi Security Gateway.  It...

ArceoFam
Grasshopper

Have this same issue with my Unifi Security Gateway.  It actually connected briefly.  got an IP For the WAN port and then moments later. Dead. The gateway no longer receiving traffic and the DHCP is lost.  The intermittent nature (Minutes apart)  points to a back end not supporting the bridge mode.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I think that this points to incorrect date/time values...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ArceoFam -- I think that this points to incorrect date/time values on your Unifi. The DHCP-lease includes an IP-address and a TTL ("Time To Live"). The TTL tells your Unifi how long it can use the lease. But if the date/time on your Unifi is incorrect, the Unifi determines that the lease has already expired.

> It connected briefly, got an IP for the WAN port.

That seems to be the correct functioning of Shaw's "back-end" DHCP-server.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

If this is the BlueCurve modem, It think I read that ther...

rstra
Grand Master

If this is the BlueCurve modem, It think I read that there was a patch that needed to be pushed out.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- yes, as usual, you are correct. There has been a posti...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- yes, as usual, you are correct. There has been a posting to this forum, stating that a patch can be pushed-out to a customer's device, but there was a question whether the patch has gone through "Quality Assurance", to indicate that it is appropriate to be pushed-out to EVERY model of EVERY device.  Also, the patch was to address an issue where some third-party routers could not obtain an IP-address, when the user's cable-modem was in "bridged" mode.  So, that patch may not be applicable to this person's symptoms.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help