Cable re-trenching waiting

daca1
Grasshopper

Hey There,

Last year it was determined by Shaw on-site technicians and personnel in the back end that my buried cable has some sort of impairments and preventing my internet connection from getting faster speeds and as such it needs to be re-trenched.   Last fall I had some 3rd party company contracted by Shaw coming to my house to re-trench the cable.  They did part of it and then they left.  It's been already nearly 7 months and nobody has bother calling me to give me an update.  I have been very patient understanding the ground is frozen during the winter but it is unacceptable nobody bothers to call.   that's very poor customer service.

I have attempted to chat on-line with a person on Shaw's chat but I get nowhere.  I am hoping I can get an answer from someone at Shaw with a date to have this cable trenching complete.  The part missing is the cable extension from outside my fence to the Shaw pedestal across the alley.  Also, extending the coax cable from my garden to my basement where my cable modem resides.  

I trust in Shaw being a reputable cable company in Calgary and I try to support it but failing to get a reasonable answer I would have to recourse to cancel this service and get a better one from the competition.  

Feel free to contact my should you have any questions.  My number and email are on file.

David

Labels (1)
19 Replies

You will need to call in, or the moderators may reply here.

rstra
Grand Master

You will need to call in, or the moderators may reply here.

0 Kudos

are you kidding?  no thanks

daca1
Grasshopper

are you kidding?  no thanks

0 Kudos

> get a better one from the competition.  You have two op...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> get a better one from the competition. 

You have two options:

1. find a reseller that buys network access from Shaw, and uses their wiring from that "pedestal" into your home, and hope that they will force Shaw to complete the "trenching";
  2. sign-up with TELUS, after noting that due to COVID-19, TELUS will not allow their technician to enter your home, to wire-up the "last-mile", for a few months, or maybe more.  Maybe, TELUS will replace their copper-wires from the telephone-pole to your home with fiber-optic cable, if you sign-up for "TELUS OPTIK" ultra-high-speed service.
0 Kudos

I'm very sorry to hear of the poor experience you've had...

shaw-tony

@daca1 I'm very sorry to hear of the poor experience you've had and would be happy to check into this with you. Please DM me your details along with any ticket/tracking information you were given.

0 Kudos

Hi shaw-tony, Thanks for your response but.. I don't have...

daca1
Grasshopper

Hi shaw-tony,

Thanks for your response but..

I don't have any tickets to reference but I am sure they are documented in your system.  They were not given to me.  I have been trying to call your support phone number, I leave a phone number to receive a call back but so far nobody has called me back.  And just so you know if I call to order a new service I get an operator on the line in less than 5 minutes.

in the last 7 days I have lost connectivity at least three times.  as you can I imagine I work from home and this is becoming a problem.

Feel free to contact me or let me know if you have any further questions for me.  Meantime I am calling other providers and see if they can install a new line at my house.  

thanks

0 Kudos

thanks MDK, unfortunately it is becoming problematic and...

daca1
Grasshopper

thanks MDK, unfortunately it is becoming problematic and yes I am looking at alternatives.  Honestly, I do not want to give up on Shaw just yet.  I have a lot of friends who work for Shaw and I want to support them as a local company.

0 Kudos

No worries, it took a little digging and I was able to lo...

shaw-tony

@daca1 No worries, it took a little digging and I was able to locate the referral. The ticket is still open from what I see here, I've sent a message to dispatch to find out what the status of the ticket is. The temporary line should be working normally, we could look into getting another technician out there to check the lines. Let me know what works for you.

0 Kudos

Yesterday after a few attempts I was able to get a hold o...

daca1
Grasshopper

Yesterday after a few attempts I was able to get a hold of a support agent on your call centre.  The agent suggested the same time thing to have a temporary line run to my house from your pedestal.  The concern I have with that is it will take a couple days before a car breaks the cable line.  There is a back alley behind my house and the pedestal, 10 m apart and it is transited by car.  So while the remedy might look good the reality is this is not going to last and I will be calling again to get it repaired.  At that point I will be completely down if it breaks. 

I prefer to wait for the rest of the trenching to be complete.  Honestly, nobody needs to get into my house to get this repaired.  It's all in the alley.  

Last, my neighbour had a similar problem a few years back.  They tried to put a temporary line and broke two or three times and he gave up and went to Telus.  The funny thing is they trench the new cable after he moved to Telus.  

I am hoping this can be fixed once and for all.  My internet has dropped 5 times in the last week. 

0 Kudos

Good Morning,  As expected a Shaw tech showed up at my ho...

daca1
Grasshopper

Good Morning, 

As expected a Shaw tech showed up at my house yesterday and just to confirm the temporary line is not worth it as it will break very quickly given location and the car traffic in the back alley.  He left and indicated he will put another request to complete the trenching and indicate it is a priority.  I am thankful to the tech for showing up, look at the situation and not wasting time doing something worthless. Yet I am again disappointed with Shaw as the people on the call centre don't know what they are doing.  

I checked with Telus and I can get a 150Mbps service through DSL on the existing twister pair. They can ship a modem and have the service enabled in two days.  

As I said, I don't want to give up on Shaw.  Let's see if Shaw can really stand up for excellence in customer quality of experience.  

TALK TO US
We're here to help