Can't get ShawPasspoint profile (Hotspot 2.0)

shaw_user1
Grasshopper

Hello

I can't get a ShawPasspoint configuration profile for my 7th Generation iPad (2019) running IOS  13.2.  I had no problems getting it set up on iPhone 6s (also running IOS 13.2).

I've done several factory resets to the device, as well as reset the network settings.  I've manually cleared the device in myShaw (and re-entered it) to no avail.

I can confirm that the iPad will pick up the Shaw Open wifi network at a hotspot, but I prefer the security of using the passpoint authentication protocol.

I've been through the forums, and cannot find any helpful answers.  I'm not interested in some moderator's cop-out answer that "the issue is with Apple."  If there's an issue between Apple devices and Shaw protocols, it's Shaw who needs to fix their system.

Can someone please get back to me with a solution, workaround, or at least a technical explanation of what the problem is?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
19 Replies

this is very similar to the issue posted here. If you re-...

shaw-tony

@shaw_user1 this is very similar to the issue posted here. If you re-imaged a previous iPad onto your new iPad, it copies over the Hotspot 2.0 profile which causes a mismatch when trying to set up the new iPad. You advised that you did a factory reset to the device, is it a blank slate factory reset that you completed?  If so, you should be able to prompt the download for the Hotspot 2.0 profile for it to work properly.

0 Kudos

Hi Tony That is the thread I was making reference to in m...

shaw_user1
Grasshopper

Hi Tony

That is the thread I was making reference to in my original post (ie.  this is a Shaw problem, not an Apple problem).

When I set up the phone, everything pretty much “automagically” worked.  I was notified a profile would be sent to me, and it was installed in Settings>General>Profiles>Configuration Profiles.

This process does not happen with the iPad.

I can manually enter the MAC address of the iPad on my.shaw.ca>My Services>Internet>Shaw Go Wifi>Add device.  (I’ve also tried https://www.shaw.ca/wifi/get-connected/).  This does not prompt Shaw’s system to send the Passpoint certificate.

Like I said earlier, I’ve cleared/flushed/reset everything I can do at my end to try make this work (several times).

Can you confirm that you will bring this to the attention of someone at Shaw’s IT department, have them look into a solution, and keep this thread updated?  It would be an appreciated gesture of good customer service.  (ie. “...there is a known issue with Apple devices where it causes a profile mismatch for Hotspot 2.0/Passpoint. I haven't heard of any updates from Apple at this time to fix this problem.” is not an acceptable answer).

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

from what I understand, a factory reset and update on the...

shaw-tony

@shaw_user1 from what I understand, a factory reset and update on the device should give you the ability to download the new Hotspot 2.0 profile (after removing your device from the registered list on your MyShaw account).

I'd recommend touching base with technical support to escalate this issue as some personal information is required. Generally, the details listed below are required.

• Account Number
  • MAC of device
  • Location and time frame of issue.
  • Device type
  • OS and OS version used.
  • Has it ever worked / when did it stop working?
  • Is this a location specific issue?
  • Shaw subscriber (EAP-TLS)
0 Kudos

shaw-tony, are you a bot? With the exception of my accoun...

shaw_user1
Grasshopper
shaw-tony, are you a bot? With the exception of my account number and device MAC address, I've already posted all the information you just requested in this thread. I've stated what I've done to try and resolve the problem, and your response is for me to do the same things? This is clearly unacceptable. As you've pointed out, other people have had this issue. How about we work together, find a solution, post it in this thread, and leave it archived for other people in the future. Hopefully, it may save other people from this brain damage. I've already requested this, but I'll do it again. Can you please reach out to someone internally with more technical expertise than yourself to try and resolve this? Referring me to the general "contact us" page is a waste of time, and defeats the whole purpose of this forum. In other words, help me find an answer and post it on here!
0 Kudos

beep boop, nope. Yes, I understand you have provided me s...

shaw-tony

@shaw_user1 🤖 beep boop, nope. Yes, I understand you have provided me some information but some are missing. I will bring this to our engineering team's attention to find a resolution and will post the ticket number when it's created. Can you DM me all the specific details below? 

• Account Number
  • MAC of device
  • Location and time frame of issue.
  • Device type
  • OS and OS version used.
  • Has it ever worked / when did it stop working?
  • Is this a location-specific issue?
  • Shaw subscriber (EAP-TLS)
0 Kudos

Hi Tony. It's been 2 weeks since I've PM'd you the reques...

shaw_user1
Grasshopper

Hi Tony.

It's been 2 weeks since I've PM'd you the requested information, and I have yet to receive a response.

Shaw Wifi Hotspot with Passpoint 2.0 security is part of my service agreement with Shaw.

Can I expect an adjustment will be made on my bill to reflect Shaw's failure to deliver on services that I am paying for?  Or should I change service providers citing Shaw's false and misleading advertising?

Please advise.

0 Kudos

very sorry for the delay in response to your PM. I will e...

shaw-tony

@shaw_user1 very sorry for the delay in response to your PM. I will escalate this immediately.

0 Kudos

Not sure if this has been solved or not but be aware that...

Blizzard_50
Grasshopper

Not sure if this has been solved or not but be aware that in iOS 13, Safari renders web pages with an OS X user agent, which means the iPad is recognized as a computer, not an iPad. In my experience, tapping on the “aA” next to the URL bar and selecting ‘load as a mobile page’ forces the Shaw site to recognize your iPad for what it is, whereupon it will offer you a certificate download when you add your device to Shaw Go.

Worked for me, anyways!

Yup! This is the issue. Just tried it. Funny how we rando...

Andrewslobodian
Grasshopper

Yup! This is the issue. Just tried it. Funny how we random peons can figure it out but the shaw tech folk cannot! Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help