Cannot Access Port Forwarded Server Locally

udia
Grasshopper

Just got the "new" white bluecurve modem today because my last black bluecurve modem became defective.
The new modem cannot bridge with my linksys router (router says no internet connection when the Shaw modem is in bridge mode).

Therefore I am currently stuck using the Bluecurve app.

I have port forwarded ports 80 and 443.

On my phone, when using LTE, I can access my website through the residential WAN assigned IP.
When I connect to WiFi, I can access my site directly using the 10.0.0.x address.
However, I cannot access the server using the assigned WAN IP. Network request just hangs forever.

Has anyone else encountered this? I was expecting it to just work.

Labels (2)
5 Replies

The BlueCurve does not support NAT Loopback. You would ne...

rstra
Grand Master

@udia  The BlueCurve does not support NAT Loopback. You would need to use the local IP address for your server while you are connecting from within your network.

Are you hosting more than 1 website? If you do, you will...

ianc01
Grasshopper

Are you hosting more than 1 website? If you do, you will need to edit a "hosts" file (on Linux or IOS; not sure what it is on Windows). This file will map a website domain to your local ip (10.0.0.x) address while on your local network. If you only have one site, don't worry about it. However, if you try to host more than one site and use the local ip address, it will serve the first virtual host it comes to.

0 Kudos

Yep- that is what I ended up doing. It's a little bit ann...

udia
Grasshopper

Yep- that is what I ended up doing. It's a little bit annoying because I have to modify the hosts file when I'm not on my local network to access my server again.

0 Kudos

Good that you got it to work. It took me a bit to figure...

ianc01
Grasshopper

Good that you got it to work. It took me a bit to figure that part out for myself. I have 3 websites running on my own server and I wondered why I couldn't access the sites using my LAN IP addresses but could through my WAN address. After digging around, I realized what rstra was saying was true. After editing the hosts file, I could access everything fine.

I know how you feel about it being a little annoying. It would be nice if Shaw allowed NAT loopback (doesn't seem to be limited to bluecurve modems).

Dear Shaw, I would be willing to pay more to be able to c...

udia
Grasshopper

Dear Shaw,

I would be willing to pay more to be able to customize settings like:
- NAT loopback
- Change default DNS servers
- Move all Bluecurve functionality back into the modem (like port forwarding)

Thanks,

annoyed long time customer

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help