Jump to solution

Changing from Microsoft Windows Mail to new Outlook free

dmllr
Grasshopper

Microsoft is forcing my elderly mom to change from the old Windows Mail to the new Outlook now (even though it's supposed to be ok until Dec 31), but every time she tries to set it up, she gets an error "Sign in failed. Please try again in a few minutes. You may need an app password". How do you get this app password?? Microsoft forums have not been any help, nor has Shaw/Rogers.

I have tried to uninstall the new Outlook so that she can use the old one temporarily (as per other posts) but it immediately reinstalls it and forces her to sign in to the new one, prompting the above error again and again. She currently has no access to her saved emails and isn't comfortable using just webmail.

*sorry if this is a duplicate, screen shut down mid-posting and I don't know if the 1st one was successful.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I actually think there might have been an issue with her...

dmllr
Grasshopper

I actually think there might have been an issue with her password. I finally got tech support at Shaw and they reset it. Once I changed it again and used that one, everything works fine and Outlook is loaded and working. Thank you anyway (I had already done your suggestion and the original looked fine). My mom is happy again!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jump to solution

Does that password that you are using work in webmail?

rstra
Grand Master

@dmllr  Does that password that you are using work in webmail?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It is not the Shaw email password that I'm looking for. A...

dmllr
Grasshopper

It is not the Shaw email password that I'm looking for. Apparently it is an "App password" that microsoft now requires to authenticate.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Oh, probably and administrator password to make changes i...

rstra
Grand Master

@dmllr  Oh, probably and administrator password to make changes it windows. Do you use a PIN to login?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No, no PIN to log in to Shaw webmail. This is the error (...

dmllr
Grasshopper

No, no PIN to log in to Shaw webmail. This is the error (email address blurred):

New Outlook for Windows sign-in error.jpg

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- what happens if you click that "Learn More" hyperlink?...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dmllr -- what happens if you click that "Learn More" hyperlink?

Can you open an app like Windows Notepad or Windows Wordpad, and type your E-mail password into it, exactly as you would when using WebMail?  Do you see the correct characters? The correct capitalization? Any missing characters, due to a dying keyboard?   If everything is OK, "copy" the password to the Windows Clipboard, and "paste" the copied text into the "password" field, when Outlook asks for you to enter it?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I actually think there might have been an issue with her...

dmllr
Grasshopper

I actually think there might have been an issue with her password. I finally got tech support at Shaw and they reset it. Once I changed it again and used that one, everything works fine and Outlook is loaded and working. Thank you anyway (I had already done your suggestion and the original looked fine). My mom is happy again!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

wrote  an issue with her password. I finally got tech sup...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dmllr wrote  an issue with her password. I finally got tech support at Shaw and they reset it.

In the future, consider logging-in to her My Shaw Portal, where you can help her change her E-mail password. Probably, much faster than talking on the telephone, and going through all their "authentication" queries -- name? address? Shaw PIN? Account number? Telephone-number?

0 Kudos