Cisco 3848V, Enable bridge mode or ip passthrough

alexs20
Grasshopper

Yesterday i joined Shaw with Internet 300 plan and got Cisco DPC3848V modem. Last night i tried to switch it to bridge mode and asked for that via live chat. The rep from the chat told me that their tools that does that are currently down and instead i can try to configure ip-passthrough. So i tried to do that but as result my router was unable to obtain public ip address. So i contacted shaw again and another rep told me that this is most likely because they have all these tools down and i will not be able to receive public ip via ip-passthrough. So my question, when you guys going to restore your tools so i can either use ip-passthrough or switch my modem to bridge mode? Or probably i should go to shaw kiosk and ask for modem replacement for something like XB6, so i can switch to bridge mode by myself?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Cisco 3848V, Enable bridge mode or ip passthrough

shaw-tony

Hey alexs20,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the poor experience you've had. Our technical support team members should be able to add a secondary IP to your account or bridge your modem. There are no current reports of any issues with our internal tools. With the XB6, it does not have the ability to complete an IP passthrough, but it does have the ability to be bridged manually with the steps here. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Re: Cisco 3848V, Enable bridge mode or ip passthrough

alexs20
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply. I already switched it into bridged mode but unfortunately that modem has problem with latency spikes in real-time games, probably because of that PUMA 6 chipset, currently trying to resolve that issue with technical support team....

0 Kudos

So I too have this router and about 3 months ago I switch...

kingrobb
Grasshopper

So I too have this router and about 3 months ago I switched from using IP pass through to using bridging instead (I have a secondary router I am using as a VPN). So for three months BOTH of these routers has had wifi and wired internet. But today we reset the power to the Shaw router and when it booted back up it no longer has wifi. My computer which is connected directly to the Shaw router no longer has internet either. Strangely one computer w windows 10 in my house which is hard wired to the Shaw router does have internet - but the default gateway is no longer 192.168.0.1 it’s something like 70.68.24.1. Before realizing the IP address has changed I called Shaw tech support who told me that bridging disables to wifi in the Shaw router. I see that stated on the new bluecurve support page but I am convinced this can’t be the case for this modem as I’ve had wifi for months on my Shaw dpc3848v router. Shaw support told me over and over again when we first activated the bridging that bridging was working and I am certain I had turned off my setting to allow it pass through.

so here is my question:

Does this router, when bridging is turned on, still have wifi and internet?

why did is stop working today?

why has the default gateway changed? On the windows 10 computer w wired internet I can’t seem to access the router interface at all in a web browser. 

0 Kudos

> the default gateway is no longer 192.168.0.1 it’s somet...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the default gateway is no longer 192.168.0.1 it’s something like 70.68.24.1

That IP-address is a "public" IP-address on the Shaw network, not a "private" IP-address within your Shaw router.

So, either your Shaw router is "bridged" -- acting solely as a coaxial-to-Ethernet bridge, or your Shaw router is using "IP pass-through", to provide a "private" IP-address on one of the Ethernet ports, and also a "public" IP-address on the other Ethernet port.

What device(s) have you connected to those two Ethernet ports?

You may connect your own router to either Ethernet port, to provide your own "private" WiFi network, and/or additional Ethernet ports on your router.

0 Kudos

Necrobump for those trying IP passthrough on this Modem/Router

BCsven
Grasshopper

Bridge mode you need Shaw's help, but for IP pass-through once you set up which MAC address will be used with it in the web gui, you also need to connect the pass-through device to the correct Ethernet port on the back.  I found this out by accident.  For my 3848 it was the 2nd port down from the top.  The other ports are not available for the pass-through connection, they just act as regular connections to your main router. (it's possible the 1st port from the top works too, I didn't check that, but definitely the 3rd, and 4th don't work)

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help