Jump to solution

Cisco DPC3848v bridging issue - wifi no longer working but has been for months

kingrobb
Grasshopper

So I too have this router and about 3 months ago I switched from using IP pass through to using bridging instead (I have a secondary router I am using as a VPN). So for three months BOTH of these routers has had wifi and wired internet (2 @ 2G and 2 @ 5G - one each from each router) But today we reset the power to the Shaw router and when it booted back up it no longer has wifi. My computer which is connected directly to the Shaw router no longer has internet either. Strangely one computer w windows 10 in my house which is hard wired to the Shaw router does have internet - but the default gateway is no longer 192.168.0.1 it’s something like 70.68.24.1. Before realizing the IP address has changed I called Shaw tech support who told me that bridging disables to wifi in the Shaw router. I see that stated on the new bluecurve support page but I am convinced this can’t be the case for this modem as I’ve had wifi for months on my Shaw dpc3848v router. Shaw support told me over and over again when we first activated the bridging that bridging was working and I am certain I had turned off my setting to allow it pass through.

so here is my question:

Does this router, when bridging is turned on, still have wifi and internet?

why did is stop working today?

why has the default gateway changed? On the windows 10 computer w wired internet I can’t seem to access the router interface at all in a web browser. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

when the Cisco 3848v is bridged, WiFi will be disabled. F...

shaw-tony

@kingrobb when the Cisco 3848v is bridged, WiFi will be disabled. From your above explanation where the WiFi was active is an IP passthrough setup

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jump to solution

> the default gateway is no longer 192.168.0.1 it’s somet...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the default gateway is no longer 192.168.0.1 it’s something like 70.68.24.1.

That is a gateway with a "public" IP-address on Shaw's network, not a gateway on your home network.

Note that the "nearby" IP-address: 70.68.24.2 resolves to a hostname that ends with ".vf.shawcable.net", where "VF" is an abbreviation for a city (or an area, such as "Vancouver-Fraser-Valley") on Shaw's network.  So, this means that your router is "bridged", to provide a "public" IP-address to your computer.

Is it possible that the router previously was not bridged, and you had designated one Ethernet port to use "pass-through" mode?  That would explain why the Shaw router was still providing WiFi networks, and, at the same time, providing a "private-network" IP-address to your own router. From a computer connected to your own router, login to that router, and check its "WAN" settings, to see if the WAN's IP-address is a "192.168.xx.yy" value, as provided by the DHCP-server inside the Shaw router.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

On your Windows 10 computer, open a command-line prompt,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

On your Windows 10 computer, open a command-line prompt, and enter:  IPCONFIG

to see something like:

IPv4 Address ... 192.168.0.10

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

or something like:

IPv4 Address: 70.68.24.xxx

Default Gateway: 70.68.24.1

Which is it?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

OK here is the info you requested

kingrobb
Grasshopper

First of all I think you must be correct in your assumption that perhaps the router was NOT correctly bridged, even though Shaw insisted to me MANY times that it was, and that we had restarted the router many times as well. Thus I was convinced that a working bridged Cisco 3848v router still has wifi - are you confirming that it shouldn't or wouldn't in bridged mode?

The public IP is 70.68.26.93

while the ipconfig shows:

IPv4 Address: 70.68.26.93

Default Gateway: 70.68.24.1

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

when the Cisco 3848v is bridged, WiFi will be disabled. F...

shaw-tony

@kingrobb when the Cisco 3848v is bridged, WiFi will be disabled. From your above explanation where the WiFi was active is an IP passthrough setup

Jump to solution

A firmware update on this router changed the wifi abilities but I was in bridge mode w wifi channels

kingrobb
Grasshopper

Thanks to those that have replied. It seems my issue was actually two fold. I spoke with a Shaw service technician who confirmed with me that my Router was indeed Bridged since Nov 2019 - and YES I did have wifi channels. But of course, I shouldn't have - as you all have stated. But I did. Why did that change a few days ago? My modem had apparently downloaded new firmware recently and so when we restarted the Router that firmware kicked in. This new firmware must have fixed the issue whereby I was able to get wifi channels on a bridged Router.

Jump to solution

> the IPCONFIG shows ... Try connecting your computer to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the IPCONFIG shows ...

Try connecting your computer to a different Ethernet port on the Shaw device, and repeat the IPCONFIG command.

I think that you will either get "no IP address", or a "private" (192.168.xxx.yyy) address.

If the former, then the Shaw device is "bridged" -- only one Ethernet port is active.  Or, maybe, two ports are active, if you have arranged with Shaw to get two "public" IP-addresses to cross the "bridge".

If the latter, then your computer is no longer connected to an "IP-passthrough" Ethernet port.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help