Jump to solution

I also lost wireless printing capability when our old mod...

maxinekl
Grasshopper

I also lost wireless printing capability when our old modem was replaced by the Hitron. Tech help kept referring us to the printer manufacturer, but that was a problem, given the post-warranty status of my Samsung M2885 FW.

The other proposed solutions either didn't work or were too complicated for our limited tech savyness.

But then I saw your reference to http://192.168.0.1/login.htm and clicked on it, out of a combination of desperation and curiosity. And on the "manage wireless" page, I was able to verify that the settings were already as suggested, and the wifi key had not changed, despite what my Samsung software had told me.

So I tried again to set up WiFi for my printer, this time via a USB connection. AND IT WORKED! I'm convinced that electronic devices, like dogs and other animals, can tell when you're confident and when you're not.

Anyway, many thanks for this link. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is the exact same situation we had. The drop down me...

LoveIsTheAnswer
Grasshopper

This is the exact same situation we had. The drop down menu to change the Auth Mode had only one option. Shaw Support was able to change it from their end and then the wifi connection worked. Thank goodness for this thread. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi, Could you please help me! I have the same issues, cha...

aruns
Grasshopper

Hi,

Could you please help me! I have the same issues, changed to new shaw modem (Marvell Semiconductors, Inc.) and my printer stopped working. I cant connect my brother printer and it says no devices could be found over the network. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- a few days ago, I helped a friend who also changed her...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@aruns -- a few days ago, I helped a friend who also changed her cable-modem.

We had to use a USB cable to connect from the BROTHER laser-printer to her ASUS notebook computer, and then to rerun the first-time setup on that computer, to configure the printer to use WiFi to connect to the new SSID being broadcast by the new cable-modem. After the setup, we disconnected the USB cable, and could print "wirelessly" from her Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, desktop) and from her ASUS laptop, running Windows 10.

Note: we had to use "custom" setup, to be able to select the SSID, and to enter the password for that SSID.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you so much @mdk. That really helps, I have seen th...

aruns
Grasshopper

Thank you so much @mdk.

That really helps, I have seen the option to connect by using USB cable however I was trying to do wireless connection with no result. May I know where I can buy a USB cable that can connect between my Brother laser printer and my Microsoft Surface laptop. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- where can I buy a USB cable that can connect between m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@aruns -- where can I buy a USB cable that can connect between my Brother laser printer and my Microsoft Surface laptop?

This is a standard USB-A-to-USB-B cable, as used for connecting many printers and some external disk-drives.

For $2.50, here's one: https://lextec.com/product/6ft-usb-cable-ab-2-0

Do not get "suckered" into a $20+ purchase at a "big-box" electronics store.

Find a local "owner/operator" computer store, to buy one for less than $5. Even a "previously-owned" cable will do -- they are virtually indestructible, unless you have a very "chewy" canine.   🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No. I don't have a wireless printer. I have a wired print...

Marlene12
Grasshopper

No. I don't have a wireless printer. I have a wired printer, but it was still a helpful article because it said in there if you have a wired printer/scanner and an ethernet wire then try plugging the ethernet into the router. I need to get an ethernet wire, but it might help the situation. I lost the ability to use the scanner and printer after the technician from Shaw set up a wireless router.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I lost the ability to use the scanner and printer afte...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Marlene12 -- I lost the ability to use the scanner and printer after the technician from Shaw set up a wireless router.

Compare switching a router/cable-modem to switching your bank account to a different bank. Whatever "banking app" that you used on your smart-phone will not connect to the new bank's web-site. You must remove that app, and install the app for the new bank.

In your case, it is unfortunate that the technician did not update the configuration on the printer, to communicate with the new device.

So, go through the "first-time setup" process for your printer.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi - same issue with new Hitron modem/router and my Canon...

BDubbleU
Grasshopper

Hi - same issue with new Hitron modem/router and my Canon 3500 series printer.  Spent more than a few hours trying to get connection.  Shaw Support reviewed with me and advised contacting Canon, which I did, and they were able to fix the problem.  Took about 1/2 hour of Canon tech time but all laptops, notebooks, etc all print.  Apparently the printer kept the old modem/router in it's memory, and thus wouldn't connect to the new unit.  I'm not a tech type, so let Canon have their way and all is good.  Was grumpy with Shaw Support staff after getting the go see your printer company line, but the advise was the right way for me to go.  Tks Shaw, Thanks Canon Canada.

Jump to solution

Okay . . . First, here is the solution I found and you do...

whatfer
Grasshopper

Okay . . . First, here is the solution I found and you don't have to call Shaw or the printer manufacturer (discovered the solution myself after calling Shaw and before contacting the printer manufacturer). It is pretty much the solution many other people have mentioned here but I am going to set out the steps fairly specifically. The catch which I encountered, and which other people noted too, was that I could not see other "Auth Mode" options for my router. However, I was able to fix this myself whereas other people contacted Shaw - some got help and some didn't. I didn't but I kept on trying different things. For reference, I am using a Hitron CGNM-2250 modem/router (rented from Shaw but which they apparently aren't able to support in any meaningful way) and was trying to connect an HP Officejet Pro 8600 colour printer/scanner (which had worked fine for years until I got the new Hitron modem/router and then it wouldn't connect to WiFi even though it was capable of recognizing my WiFi network). This is also why I believed so strongly that changing the "Auth Mode" setting was the correct solution and that I didn't need a new printer.

1. Login in to your router by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your web browser and then using the name and password that came with your router (or whatever you have changed it to if you have changed it).

2. Choose the option of "Manage WiFi".

3. Work from the 2.4G tab (if you are having problems connecting an old printer you definitely won't be using 5G).

4. Under "Basic Settings", "WPS Enabled" must be set to "Off" - it might already be so by default.

5. Under "Multiple SSID Settings" choose the following from the pull-down menus:

Sec Mode - "WPA-Personal" (will probably be this by default)

Auth Mode - "Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK)" (this is the one you need to change from "WPA2-PSK" - see discussion below)

Encrypt Mode - "TKIP/AES" (this will probably change to this automatically when you change the Auth Mode above)

Now save these changes and try connecting your printer to WiFi.

Discussion

I am by no means a computer expert, but I think this is what happened in my case and it might be helpful for others with similar problems connecting old printers by WiFi to new modem/routers. The general solution which many people noted on here (thank you all) was to change the Auth Mode to "Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK)". However, I, like many others, found that the pull-down menu for this had no other options available. Several people said that they called Shaw and some were lucky enough to get an agent who was able to help them, somehow. I was not so lucky. Having recently got the new modem/router I had been resetting all my devices to work from WiFi from the new modem/router. I also have an old Brother printer that I got working but for that I had to enable the WPS (which by default was disabled). Here is the kicker and this might help some of you who also aren't getting more than one option for Auth Mode - when WPS is enabled you won't get several options for Auth Mode. To get those options you need to disable WPS as noted above. I had enabled WPS to connect the Brother printer and left it enabled. This is why I had the problems when I went to connect the HP printer.

And now I'm going to complain about Shaw for a bit. I don't expect the agents to be wizards and I don't expect them to know how to connect every obsolete device. When I contacted Shaw I asked a very specific question about how to get more options under "Auth Mode" on my modem/router (supplied by them . . .). As soon as I revealed that this was in connection with setting up a printer the agent immediately went into "script" mode telling me they don't support the connection of devices, blah, blah, blah, blah blah. I said again, could you please just answer, or look into, the very specific question I am asking about changing the Auth Mode setting on my modem/router. I further made the mistake of revealing that I had learned of this solution from this forum (which is on THEIR website, no less). Then I received the scripted lecture on not believing everything I see online . . . The final answer was that the modem/router was set however it was set and that they had no power/ability (or inclination really)  to change the settings. Feeling a little frisky (and having an hour to devote to this doomed task), I asked the agent (who I will credit as being perfectly pleasant and seemingly wanting to help without in any way being equipped to help) to let me speak with someone above him just to be sure that there was NO WAY my request was in any way possible. I was on hold for 15 minutes. When agent came back he told me that he had spoken to some tech guru at Shaw who, not surprisingly, agreed with everything agent had told me, according to agent. I reminded agent that I had asked to speak with such person myself . . . I waited on hold another 15 or 20 minutes until I was connected with agent's supervisor (who was not the tech guru he had consulted). In her best "calming-down-unhappy-customer" manner, she simply reiterated everything agent had told me . . . I asked her to go off-script for a moment and just listen to the issue. I came away with the same answer - modem/router was hard-wired and there was nothing they could do to change it. She also felt it would be helpful and soothing to remind me that you can't believe everything you see online . . .

As I said in the beginning, I don't expect these agents to be miracle workers. But I would expect that people who deal with technology every day (particularly devices they supply and "support") might be able to do a bit of troubleshooting and make the connection that "WPS" affects the availability of "Auth Mode" settings. It has taken me all day to figure this out, but I did. And I am not a techy - just tenacious. But they seem to have people with neither quality working at Shaw (and many other places that happily take our money (lots of it) but provide very little for it). I should also be clear that I am not particularly upset with these individual workers who I am sure are doing their best, but rather with a company that provides so little training to their agents and ultimately has no real concern with providing any meaningful and useful customer service and support.

Hope this helps somebody and saves them many hours of frustration and maybe some money (I was this close to running out and buying a new printer . . .).

TALK TO US
We're here to help