Jump to solution

Connecting my wireless printer - One word - NIGHMARE.  Sp...

Brad23
Grasshopper

Connecting my wireless printer - One word - NIGHMARE.  Spent hours trouble shooting my HP Deskjet wireless printer.  Finally narrowed it down to the **bleep** Hitron modem/router. Googled and I found your post about the Auth Mode settings. But alas, I found my Auth Mode 2.4G SSID setting was already set to Auto(WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK).  Decided to switch to WPA2-PSK and it worked, I was finally able to connect my printer using HP Smart.

Thank you very much for your post.

Jump to solution

Thanks too for this!  Did everything and then applied you...

Carter2017
Grasshopper

Thanks too for this!  Did everything and then applied your changes and Bang!  Done!!!  I can't however, set the SHAW WPS Enabled setting back to ON

Question:  Is there any danger to my system, operation, security, etc.,  by leaving the WPS Enable in the OFF position in my  SHAW Modem Settings?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Is there any danger to my system, operation, security,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Carter2017 -- Is there any danger to my system, operation, security, etc.,  by leaving the WPS Enable in the OFF position in my  SHAW Modem Settings?

Usually none.

Using WPS requires physical access to the WPS button on the cable-modem.

If you have some unauthorized person pushing that button, you might have a dangerous person inside your home, but this happens only in any horror-movie, or in this week's episode of Jason Priestly's "Private Eyes" TV show. 🙂

If you disable WPS, then pressing the WPS button will have no effect.

Jump to solution

derekandjodi - you are a god. THANK YOU!! I've been strug...

WalkingDeadFam
Grasshopper

derekandjodi - you are a god. THANK YOU!! I've been struggling for hours to get my new Canon MX492 to access the wifi. NO GOOGLING would help.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Didn't work for me, as least not that simply.  I changed...

Spire1952
Grasshopper

Didn't work for me, as least not that simply.  I changed the Auto Mode as suggested and rebooted the printer, but still no IP address, no network connection.  I then had one last try entering the IP Address manually on the printer display *HP 6500 710E), using my old one that I found under Printers and Scanners in my Win 10 computer.  The manual WIFI set up then asked for the Subnet Mask, which I found after logging into the router (in "Basic" info about the router), and I entered that.  Voila, connected at last.  With one final reboot of the printer I found the router had assigned a new IP address and it was still connected.  Before all this I'd played around for hours and then called Shaw.  The agent said something about older printers not being able to communicate with the latest routers and to call my printer manufacturer.  Clearly not the case.   Anyway, happy it's over and done.  Good luck to anyone who's still trying to get connected.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank You, peaceful, I have an HP OfficeJet 8600 printer that I ha...

MD53
Grasshopper

Thank You, peaceful, 😄

I have an HP OfficeJet 8600 printer that I had to update to find my new Hitron Modem.  On the printer's display I found the new wifi modem, selected it,  and entered the password.   The printer didn't work.   Then on my PC I accessed the wifi modem using the link you provided: http://192.168.0.1/    I had to enter the User Name: cusadmin   and my modem's password to access the modem's details.   In the wireless section I found the Auto Mode.  Mine was set to WPA2-PSK, and I was able to change it via a drop down menu to Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK).   That knocked me off the internet (oops, scarey!)  but I was able to re-connect.   I then tried my printer and it worked, yea!!!    Again, many thanks for your help.

Jump to solution

I can't thank you enough.  After many, many hours with th...

MsMel
Grasshopper

I can't thank you enough.  After many, many hours with the same problem (switched to Hitron modem) I was finally!! able to connect my printer.  It was so frustrating I was on the verge of giving up and purchasing new printer.  You saved me $$  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting your solution derekandjodi.  I had spe...

stromboli
Grasshopper

Thanks for posting your solution derekandjodi.  I had spent hours trying to connect my Canon Pixma MG3020 wirelessly to my newly acquired Hitron modem/router.  Shaw should have given a heads-up on connecting printers to the Hitron in their Self Connect instructions.

Much appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

We are trying to set our Epson Workforce WP-4540 to our n...

efreedom
Grasshopper

We are trying to set our Epson Workforce WP-4540 to our new Hitron as well. I was hopeful your post would help us but under Wireless SSID we see that there's no option to change from WPA2-PSK to Auto. There is only the one option there. Any ideas how to make this possible?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- on my HITRON, I see: Check the bottom-right for that...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@efreedom -- on my HITRON, I see:

Capture.JPG

Check the bottom-right for that "Auth Mode" pull-down.

TALK TO US
We're here to help