Continued drops in internet.

Tdomy
Grasshopper

Terrible service, limited support and same issue persists. White light in modem indicates internet connection but no access. Been told to reset a 1000 times like I don't understand what my problem is. They set up 2 IPs to help with traffic and hopefully solve my issues, nope same problem. Little to no information as to why this problem exists. Nothing like paying for something that doesn't work. I strongly recommend anyone having the same issue just leave shaw. Been sent a new modem and even then the problem continues. Fed up and very angry. Not to mention with covid working from home isn't possible with my connection constantly dropping. Missing meetings, calls and important work online functions that I constantly have to try to reconnect to. Shaw can you at least give me a reason and explain? Or send me a full refund for this month and I will gladly leave my plan. If anyone here has a fix which is unlikely because it seems to be either the routers/modems are unable to hold a stable connection or shaw has a problem in my area. 

Labels (1)
1 Reply

-- explain I presume that your devices do stay connected...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tdomy -- explain

I presume that your devices do stay connected to the current cable-modem, 100% of the time, and probably did to your previous cable-modem.

Is the coaxial-cable from the cable-modem directly-connected to a coaxial-port in a wall-plate, or is the cable connected to a 1-to-2 splitter, with the other "half" of the output of the splitter going to your Shaw TV box, and another coaxial-cable from the splitter to the coaxial-port in a wall-plate?  If the former, try a different coaxial-cable. If the latter, try bypassing the splitter, to connect the cable-modem directly to the wall-port. It might be a failing splitter. Of course, when bypassing, try a different coaxial-cable.

The "back" of the wall-port is coaxial-cables inside the walls of your domicile, running to the Shaw "demarcation box". This box has one coaxial-cable exiting your home, and connecting to the nearest telephone-pole, and it has multiple cables to multiple wall-ports in your domicile.  As you can guess, there is a 1-to-many coaxial-splitter inside that box, to feed the signal to each of those cables. Only a Shaw technician can unlock that box, and swap-in a different coaxial-splitter, to see if that helps. Also, the Shaw technician might snip off the connectors on each of those coaxial-cables entering the box, and put brand-new connectors on each cable.  That, too, might help.

Also, when you have contacted a Shaw Agent, they can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching the cable-modem, and can view other values, because "out-of-specifications" values can cause your issue.

So, contact Shaw again, and get the Agent to do that "logon". If the values are OK, then the Agent should schedule a site-visit from a Shaw technician, to work "inside" that demarcation box.

It's also possible that the coaxial-cable between that box and the telephone-pole is frayed or kinked, or otherwise damaged.

Do you have any neighbours on your street who also have Shaw Internet, and have the same issues as you? It could be a problem with the Shaw infrastructure, up-and-down your street.

TALK TO US
We're here to help