Jump to solution

Difference between Shaw Go Wifi and Shaw Open

tsf
Grasshopper

What is the difference between Shaw Go Wifi, Shaw Open and Shaw Passport?

Also,

I have been trying to use Shaw Go Wifi and Shaw Open with limited success. I have my device registered but instead of automatically logging in, it directs me to a device registering page when I try to use the internet. Even when I get logged in to a Go Wifi and my device shows good signal, the service provided through it is best described as lame. I normally try to use this feature through an apple Ipod. Maybe I am not using it correctly. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Attacking any messenger on this forum is not welcome. > T...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Attacking any messenger on this forum is not welcome.

> The main question remains unanswered - "Difference between Shaw Go Wifi and Shaw Open?"

Shaw GoWiFi is a product, while ShawOpen is a SSID on Shaw's WiFi network.

Compare an automobile to the car-horn inside it.  They are different. To access the horn, you need to have an automobile. Access to ShawOpen would not be available if Shaw did not offer the GoWiFi technology.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Jump to solution

Re: Difference between Shaw Go Wifi and Shaw Open

shaw-tony

Hey tsf,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the delay in response. The forums aren't monitored as closely as our other support channels. Shaw Go WiFi includes both the Shaw Open and Shaw Passpoint WiFi networks. You can find more details on the specifics of each network here. Are you noticing that you are unable to connect to the Internet in certain locations or are all locations you try having issues?

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Jump to solution

Hi Tony - not that I should expect more from Shaw and it'...

Ibyukana
Grasshopper

Hi Tony - not that I should expect more from Shaw and it's employees, still, it would have been useful to actually answer the question instead of inserting a useless/irrelevant link. How about you put some effort and answer the question? Do you think you can handle this as a Shaw Moderator/support rep? The main question remains unanswered - "Difference between Shaw Go Wifi and Shaw Open?"

Jump to solution

Attacking any messenger on this forum is not welcome. > T...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Attacking any messenger on this forum is not welcome.

> The main question remains unanswered - "Difference between Shaw Go Wifi and Shaw Open?"

Shaw GoWiFi is a product, while ShawOpen is a SSID on Shaw's WiFi network.

Compare an automobile to the car-horn inside it.  They are different. To access the horn, you need to have an automobile. Access to ShawOpen would not be available if Shaw did not offer the GoWiFi technology.

Jump to solution

the guy doesn't want car talk he want you to explain whic...

starphucker6969
Grasshopper

the guy doesn't want car talk he want you to explain which network gives the user the wifi everywhere that shaw boasts is available for its customers when they're away from their internet service. because i'm a customer of shaw and i cannot figure out which wifi network to connect to, ie i don't get the authentication screen when i connect to either, then i get 'no internet' errors then i just revert to cellular because our amazing innovative pro-customer canadian isp has two confusing wifi hotspots for its customers to get confused over.

bearing in mind everyone isn't super smart at technology like you are, and sparing everyone of cute analogies or zingers can you explain which one the user has to connect to?

Jump to solution

Shaw Open: Free unsecure wifi for Shaw customers. Shaw Pa...

rickatk
Master

Shaw Open: Free unsecure wifi for Shaw customers.

Shaw Pass Point: Secured Web 2.0 WiFi for Shaw customers. Requires additional steps to set up but gives secure public wifi.

Shaw Go: Free unsecured public wifi. This is a Covid 19 service provide by Shaw for everyone.

All of the access points(there are many) tend to be installed at Shaw Business  customer locations.

Hope that helps. 

Jump to solution

-- Even when I get logged in to a Go Wifi and my device s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tsf -- Even when I get logged in to a Go Wifi and my device shows good signal, the service provided through it is best described as lame.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Shaw WiFi is a free bonus to Shaw customers, but you should  expect a "fast" (100 Mbps ???) connection.

During COVID-19, the "ShawGo" network has been free to all, but it seems to be limited to 5.0 Mbits/second.

When connecting your iPod, are you also clicking "remember this device", to allow your next connection to not require your Shaw ID/password ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Maybe  is having a better experience now compared to 2.5...

rstra
Grand Master

Maybe @tsf is having a better experience now compared to 2.5 years ago when he posted.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Did you ask  that question? Did you get a reply? Are y...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Did you ask @tsf that question? Did you get a reply? Are you sure that "he", rather than "they" or "them" is the correct pronoun?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Since  signed his post “Ed” I just took a shot the he was...

rstra
Grand Master

Since @tsf signed his post “Ed” I just took a shot the he was a he. 

I was more curious as to why you tagged TSF, when it was @starphucker6969 that re-opened the thread.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help