Jump to solution

Re: Disable hidden SSID broadcasts

shaw-tony

d9amic and  I understand your concerns. To give some more context, the hidden networks are there so they can connect to the BlueSky TV 4K wireless boxes. So they will be active regardless of the modem is in bridged/unbridged mode.

Jump to solution

I have the same problem the Xb6  is in bridge mode, but i...

alexs20
Grasshopper

I have the same problem the Xb6  is in bridge mode, but it is still broadcasting hidden network SSID.I think it is a huge safety breach to allow people from the street connect to private network.

Jump to solution

outside users are unable to access that network as it is...

shaw-tony

@alexs20 outside users are unable to access that network as it is exclusively used to connect BlueSky TV equipment.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I also realized that hidden SSID broadcast creates interf...

alexs20
Grasshopper

I also realized that hidden SSID broadcast creates interference to my access point when it jumps to the same channel that used by my AP. The speed drops immediately and error rate goes up. Moreover, that hidden network allocates 8 channels and conducts TX power higher than allowed by ISED specification, where max is 1000mW. That not only creates interference to 5Gz network but also produces unhelthy radiation.

I think shaw should stop doing that as this is something that reduces our life quality without even asking us. Also, that issue should be reported to Industry Canada regulators for investigations of why these modems emmiting more power than allowed in Canada.

Jump to solution

Massive amounts of RF radiation are being emitted from XB6 modem while bridged

WiFi_radiation
Grasshopper

Massive amounts of RF microwave radiation are being emitted from my XB6 modem while bridged. Hidden networks are being broadcasted from my modem even with WiFi off and bridge mode enabled. I know that these hidden networks are coming from my modem because they disappear when I unplug my modem.  

This is extremely dangerous as microwave radiation has been shown to cause cancer and many other health problems. Industry Canada needs to be regulating this. Shaw shouldn’t be able to broadcast microwave radiation Via hidden networks especially  if we have turned off WiF. It’s assault!

Jump to solution

> It's assault! To quote shaw-tony: the hidden networks a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> It's assault!

To quote shaw-tony:

the hidden networks are there so they can connect to the BlueSky TV 4K wireless boxes.

So they will be active regardless of the modem is in bridged/unbridged mode.

If you can still find and deploy an older (non-WiFi) Shaw cable-modem, feeding into your own multi-port non-WiFi router, and you don't have any of those "TV boxes", will you be content with a maximum download speed of 25 Mbits/second?

Have you measured the wattage from the Telus Optik router? That router also uses WiFi to communicate with the Telus "TV boxes" in different rooms in your home.

Jump to solution

I only connect to my Shaw XB6 via ethernet cable and alwa...

WiFi_radiation
Grasshopper

I only connect to my Shaw XB6 via ethernet cable and always have WiFi off.  My router was emitting HUGE amounts of wireless radiation so I called Shaw numerous times to ask why this must be as radiation levels that high could only be coming from wireless broadcasting.  I have spent more than 8 hours talking to Shaw and a shaw installer about this matter.  I asked them if my router was being used as a hotspot for Freedom customers.  I know that they have hotspot for Freedom customers default on for Hitron modems. 

Shaw installer came over and bridged my modem then ran a wifi analyzer.  It showed 8 hidden networks broadcasting from my modem.  We knew they were coming from my modem because the signals were very strong and because they would disappear when we unplugged the modem.  Shaw support continues to insist that they have no idea how 8 hidden networks could be broadcasting from my modem. 

WiFi is a carcinogenic and is banned in many places for use in school.  I find it outrageous that Shaw emitts hidden wireless networks (which WHO classsifies as a possible carcinogenic and many scientist believe it should be reclassified as 'known carcinogenic') from our modems without our knowledge or our consent as it compromises our health.  Not only that, Children are even more vulnerable as they absorb much more radiation.

Changing providers seems to be the only option.

Thousands of peer-reviewed scientific studies show that our exposure to non-ionizing radiation for Wifi causes serious biological effects. 

Some symptoms include:

Headaches
Brain fog
Eye problems
Insomnia
Heart palpitations
Dizziness
Memory problems
Anxiety
Irritability
Depression
Fatigue
Tinnitus
Joint pain
Cataracts

Wireless radiation causes oxidative stress to our cells that can lead to cancer, alzheimers, diabetes, infertility, heart problems.

Please turn off your WiFi, hardwire your connections , unplug your modem at night and find a modem that will not broadcast any hidden wireless networks.

Jump to solution

> My router was emitting HUGE amounts of wireless radiati...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> My router was emitting HUGE amounts of wireless radiation

Take a "dead" microwave oven out of your kitchen, and remove the microwave-generating parts.

Put the Shaw modem inside the oven (drill holes in the microwave's walls for cable & power).

Voila!  You now have a "Faraday Cage" to block all radiation from escaping the oven.

>  I asked them if my router was being used as a hotspot for Freedom customers.  I know that they have hotspot for Freedom customers default on for Hitron modems. 

Correct, but it can be disabled.

> It showed 8 hidden networks broadcasting from my modem.

As mentioned above, those networks are used by any "wireless" Shaw TV boxes inside your home.

Jump to solution

Open the modem and pull the transceivers, unplug the ante...

bingo-bango
Grasshopper

Open the modem and pull the transceivers, unplug the antennas.

These boxes are ridiculous

Jump to solution

Seems like this is the only way to fix that issue. Shaw i...

alexs20
Grasshopper

Seems like this is the only way to fix that issue. Shaw is playing a dirty game with us, so we should play the same rules. if support says that XB6 modem is "not broadcasting any hidden networks", then opening and disconnecting antennas will not break it but will bring it to the state that support insist it is.

But honestly, it is unacceptable that i can not control the equipment that runs on my property, and once my contract is over i am going to switch back to teksavvy or can-com and will never look back. 

I also do not understand why that question is in "resolved" state. It is not just "not-resolved" but should be escalated.

TALK TO US
We're here to help