Downloading speed drops

wesleyli0
Grasshopper

Recently, I feel my BlueCurve just limit all of my devices' downloading speed for some reason. 

This weekend I felt that the speed is just very slow, so I tested it with Fast.com or shaw speed test. It only gets 0.9 to 8Mbps While having 9ms ping and 15Mbps uploading speed.  However, watching youtube on my iPad or the TV is totally fine. 

And it stays like that unless I restart the BlueCurve.  Then I get back the 300Mbps I am paying for. 

I use a whole day to monitor the speed. I tried to use only wire or turn on/off the Wifi.  Here is the result:

1. If I restart the BlueCurve and not turn on wifi, the speed stays normal.

2. If I turn on Wifi, there is a chance that the speed suddenly drops to 5Mbps. 

3. After 2, even if I shut off Wifi, the speed remains slow.

4. Youtube always fine, even when the speed is slow.

5. the slow always happens at night, which is the time my wife uses TV/Ipad to watch Youtube.

6. I feel that the Bluecurve will limit all device's downloading speed whenever I use youtube  

Seriously need to fix this. 

Labels (1)
5 Replies

Do you have any Windows 10 computers in your home network...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Do you have any Windows 10 computers in your home network?

On the second Tuesday of each month, at 10 AM Pacific, Microsoft releases security updates for Windows and for Office.

That "second Tuesday" was 4 days ago.  Perhaps, your computer(s) were downloading those updates.

One of the major updates on Tuesday was the "1909" (September 2019) semi-annual update to Windows 10 -- a large download.

So, access "Windows Update" on each Windows computer, to see if the updates are being downloaded, or have been downloaded, and are being installed.

Also, access the Windows "Task Manager" on each computer, and switch to the "Performance" tab, to see the activity graph for network access, to see if one computer is using most of your download capacity.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the Reply. I carefully monitor internet usage....

wesleyli0
Grasshopper

Thanks for the Reply.

I carefully monitor internet usage. There was nothing downloading at the back.  Even, if there was one, It should be finished in no time with the internet 300.

Right now, I really feel like the blue curve will limit all downloading speed whenever I  watch youtube on my TV or Ipad and doesn't free it up unless I reboot the Blue Curve. 

0 Kudos

Since Friday, my internet response has been slow too........

prairieguy
Grasshopper

Since Friday, my internet response has been slow too.....slow to load and play videos on sites (i.e. TSN) or even to access various websites.  Even Shaw email a bit slow to respond.  Frustrating for sure as I work from home and need decent speed.

0 Kudos

I took a quick look into your accounts and see the signal...

shaw-tony

@wesleyli0 @prairieguy I took a quick look into your accounts and see the signal to the modem is off-spec which can cause the slow speeds you've experienced. I'd recommend trying some troubleshooting steps here to see if there's some improvement. If you still notice slow speeds, touch base with technical support so we can investigate further or schedule a service technician to improve the signal levels.

0 Kudos

>  Even if there was one, It should be finished in no tim...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  Even if there was one, It should be finished in no time with the internet 300.

Not entirely true.  The speed of any "Windows Update" depends on several factors:

* the speed of your processor -- updating my laptop with a dual-core 1.3 Ghz processor is much slower than updating my desktop;

* the amount of "available" (not currently "in-use") RAM on your computer -- Windows Update temporarily uses about 1GB. If your computer needs to "swap" from RAM to your disk-drive to allocate 1GB, the "swapping" input/output slows-down the update process;

* the speed of your disk-drive -- updating Windows on a SSD is much faster than updating on a "spinning" disk-drive;

* the speed of the Microsoft's file-server -- it rarely "sends" at a "sustained" speed of 300 Mbits/second -- it probably sends "bursts" at 100 Mbps. So, each TCP/IP packet that you receive is received at 300 Mbps, but there is large (think of computer speeds) gaps between packets. Watch a baseball game -- the pitcher's fastball is close to 100 Miles/Hour, but there is a long gap between pitches.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help