Jump to solution

email question

johnb1
Grasshopper

trying to help my mom with her new MacBook Pro (2019).  Her email was working fine on her older MacBook Pro (2013), and was set up as IMAP incoming and outgoing.  This new one, though, is troublesome.  Not the MacBook Pro itself, that's fine, but....the incoming  mail is set as IMAP, which I can understand.....but the outgoing mail  is set as SMTP...and from what I understand, you can either have IMAP or SMTP, but not a mix of the two.

so....she can recieve email, but not send it.... I have tried to delete the old SMTP server setting, and have it be IMAP both ways, but no such luck. and of course it keeps asking for her Shaw email password for sending email, which can't be verified. and any tries have I done to get both working in harmony have been for nothing. I can't currently get rid of the old server settings,  and replace them with the IMAP ones for outgoing mail, which would make sense.....

How did it get there in the first place ?? I have no idea at all, I'm just the guy who has to try to fix this and make it all work OK.

so  any suggestions/help welcomed. I'll check in on the Catalina/MacBook Pro side of things, but I have a feeling that a call to Shaw will be in our near future......

thanks

John B

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply shaw-tony. That's exactly what happe...

johnb1
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply shaw-tony. That's exactly what happened. She got a new one, and at the Apple store, got 'em to do a backup and migration.....

anyways, thanks to the fine folks at Shaw technical support we got it fixed. reregistered the old pw as the new one. checked port settings, etc, and it works like a charm. Incoming and outgoing all done....

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jump to solution

that is certainly odd. Was there any re-imaging or transf...

shaw-tony

@johnb1 that is certainly odd. Was there any re-imaging or transfer of data from her old Macbook to the new one? That may be the reason why the old SMTP data remains. Unfortunately, I am not sure why you aren't able to replace the information with the new IMAP settings. As for the pop-up re-verifying the password, it may be related to a weak password on the email. I'd recommend updating the password to something stronger through the MyShaw account.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply shaw-tony. That's exactly what happe...

johnb1
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply shaw-tony. That's exactly what happened. She got a new one, and at the Apple store, got 'em to do a backup and migration.....

anyways, thanks to the fine folks at Shaw technical support we got it fixed. reregistered the old pw as the new one. checked port settings, etc, and it works like a charm. Incoming and outgoing all done....

TALK TO US
We're here to help