[Enable 802.3ad] BlueCurve Gateway + 3rd Party Router

Jlindemann
Grasshopper

I have a Router (Asus RT-AX88U) that I use to connect my home network to the Shaw modem with. I'm attempting to use its feature called "WAN Aggregate" where it will use both ports on the Shaw modem to increase speed to the internet. (instead of 1GB to internet, I get 2GB to internet)
I need the Shaw modem to be able to enable LACP-IEEE 802.3ad so that I can utilize both ports at the same time.  But I can't seem to get it work.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

It wonโ€™t work.

rstra
Grand Master

@Jlindemann  It wonโ€™t work.

0 Kudos

-- for your account, your cable-modem is internally confi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jlindemann -- for your account, your cable-modem is internally configured to limit the speed between the cable-modem and Shaw's network to 1 Gbps for downloads, and 100 Mbps for uploads to the Internet.

If you upgrade your account to "Shaw Gig 1.5", your cable-modem will receive at 1.5 Gbps.  So, if you have two devices (routers or computers) that are Ethernet-connected to the cable-modem, they will "share' the speed, e.g., 750-plus-750 or 500-plus-1000. 

If you have the latest cable-modem, it has one 2.5 Ghz port. Use a "CAT-6" Ethernet cable to connect to the network adapter inside the computer that is faster (and much more expensive) than the standard 10/100/1000 network adapter. Then, you will be able to receive at the 1.5 Gbps speed.

However, note that most server computers on the Internet have 10/100/1000 network adapters. So, they cannot "push" out data at more than 1 Gbps. Also, most of those server computers have multiple simultaneous sessions, servicing multiple users. So, if you have 10 users downloading from one server, they each may only get 1/10 of the 1 Gbps speed.

You'll have to consider FTTH (Fiber optic cable To The Home) to receive at "light-speed", and you'll have to connect to computer servers that have fiber-optic network adapters.  Of course, all the routers within Shaw's infrastructure would have to have fiber-optic network adapters, to avoid them being a "bottle-neck" between the server and your home computer.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help