Fibre+ 300 pricing

Sean369
Grasshopper

Can anyone explain the new Fibre+ 300 pricing? $100 a month for the first 24 months. So $2400 for 2 years. 

I signed up for Shaw May 1. I am paying $59 for the first 12 months and then $94 for the next 12 months for a total of $1836 for Internet 300. 

So for the exact same speeds they are now charging an extra $564 on a 2 year contract. How can they justify that? Especially during these times of financial hardship for many people. 

Labels (1)
9 Replies

> I signed-up for Shaw on May 1. At that time, did you ch...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I signed-up for Shaw on May 1.

At that time, did you choose the "two-year Value Plan", which guarantees no price increases for two years?

0 Kudos

I did. And I'm not complaining about what I am paying. I...

Sean369
Grasshopper

I did. And I'm not complaining about what I am paying. I just find it inconceivable that 30 days after I signed up the price has increased by $564 over 2 years for the exact same internet speeds. If I had moved 1 month later on June 1 I would have been pissed! 

0 Kudos

> $59 for the first 12 months and then $94 for the next 1...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> $59 for the first 12 months and then $94 for the next 12 months.

That is a good price. It seems to be "promotional" pricing for a brand-new Shaw customer.

> $100 a month for the first 24 months. ($110 a month after)

That too is introductory pricing for new Shaw customers. I see a footnote: Other offers may be available.

Note that after the end of the two-year plan, the $110 pricing is the "month-to-month" rate, if the customer does not sign-up for another "two year Value Plan" -- which Shaw does allow.

Of course, after the end of your two-year contract,  you could switch to some other provider, to get "introductory" pricing from them. 🙂

0 Kudos

Other offer does not exist. I checked with via phone call...

kpuppet9105
Grasshopper

Other offer does not exist. I checked with via phone call, and live chat, and both agents basically just read out what it is offered on the website.

When I ask the chat agent for more affordable option, he introduced internet 75 (500gb usage limit) with approx $90/month, 2 year contract, while I am using internet 600 at $90/m 2 year plan.

Suddenly they only left option for either paying $20 more for 750 (From the price, $10 is for renting the modem they said)

or paying $10 more for downgrade to 300.

I really wish if there's Telus purefibre in my area to get switch without hesitation.

0 Kudos

I was able to score with Shaw after Telus messed up and d...

netholan
Grasshopper

I was able to score with Shaw after Telus messed up and delayed my installation date for new internet - just went to shaw's Welcome Home Team and called, explained the situation and what rates Telus was going to give me. They gave me the Shaw Fibre+ 300 at $20/month for the 1st year, and $90/month for the 2nd = avg $55/mo. Free self-setup, free shipping of the modem. Definetly way more internet than I need, but what a great offer. Telus was prepared to give me the Telus 75/75 @ $35/mo on a 2 year plan, free installation but their loyalty department did not call back quick enough (guaranteed call back in 20 minutes after speaking with the lady for 30+ mins, 4+ hours later and no call).

Wow, you got a great deal.

rstra
Grand Master

Wow, you got a great deal. 

-- They gave me the Shaw Fibre+ 300  Check which cable-mo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@netholan -- They gave me the Shaw Fibre+ 300 

Check which cable-modem you receive.

The HITRON will give 300 Mbps for download, but only 15 Mbps for upload.

The BlueCurve will give 300 Mbps for download, and 100 Mbps for upload.

The HITRON maxes-out at 300 Mbps; if you ever want "faster", Shaw will "rent" you the BlueCurve.

Everybody gets "free shipping" of new hardware (and also of any equipment you return to them). Whoopee!

I have never purchased an automobile, and been charged extra for tires -- they are "free".  8-)

0 Kudos

Just tested my Fiber 300 ... and get 55 mbps download, 10...

kmadvisor1
Grasshopper

Just tested my Fiber 300 ... and get 55 mbps download, 107 upload. Not impressed. Worse that what I had before - the 15 package.

0 Kudos

-- get 55 mbps download, 107 upload That is not a normal...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kmadvisor1 -- get 55 mbps download, 107 upload

That is not a normal download speed for a BlueCurve modem, with "Fibre+ 300" (or "Fibre+ 750" or "Fibre+ Gig" or "FIbre+ Gig 1.5". It is what you should expect for your upload speed.

Because this is just a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support, I recommend that you contact Shaw (www.shaw.ca/chat) or 1-888-472-2222, and get a Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your BlueCurve, and to check the "signal-strength", and other specifications, to make sure that your connection is OK.

If you have a coaxial-splitter between the BlueCurve and the coaxial wall-port, temporarily bypass it, and re-measure.

Try a different coaxial-cable between your BlueCurve to the coaxial wall-port, and re-measure.

Try a different Ethernet cable (labelled "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6") between your BlueCurve and your computer, and re-measure.

Try connecting a different computer, via an Ethernet cable, to the BlueCurve, and re-measure.

Try a notebook computer with a "Wireless AC" network adapter, connecting it wirelessly to the BlueCurve, and re-measure. A "Wireless N" or "Wireless G" adapter will be much slower.

TALK TO US
We're here to help