Fibre+ Speeds Downtown Edmonton

Playaprez
Grasshopper

Hello,

Any Downtown Residents care to post their Fibre+ speeds. So your plan and what you're getting Speed Test. My plan is Fibre+ 1.0Gbps and my speeds are consistently 0.130Gbps sometimes when I am lucky they are between 0.300Gbps and 0.500Gbps.

Plan is Fibre+ 1.0 GPlan is Fibre+ 1.0 G

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- how fast is the processor inside your computer? The Sh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Playaprez -- how fast is the processor inside your computer? The Shaw Speed Test requires at least a 2.5 Ghz processor to run at full-speed with Shaw Fibre+ 300 service, and probably requires a faster processor to run at full-speed with the Shaw Fibre+ 1 Gig service.

Ask a Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view & interpret the signal-strength reaching your modem. Being "out-of-spec" will reduce the throughput rate.

0 Kudos

I am running an M1 chip so it is more than capable of the...

Playaprez
Grasshopper

I am running an M1 chip so it is more than capable of the test. Shaw tech support is a huge range of competency, some people believe that a speed of 100mbps - 400mbps is acceptable, while some know this is a problem. I have been in contact with Shaw since May and this is an ongoing issue with their speed, unfortunately Telus can only deliver copper thereto 150mbps otherwise I would jump ship. I was just curious to know if there are people with Fibre+ 1Gbps and what their speeds are.

0 Kudos

-- I have "Shaw Fibre+ 300" service, on Vancouver Island....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Playaprez -- I have "Shaw Fibre+ 300" service, on Vancouver Island. Running the Shaw Speed Test shows slightly over 300 Mbps for download, and slightly over 16 Mbps (I am paying for 15 Mbps) for upload, through my HITRON cable-modem.

So, keep in contact with Shaw. Other Shaw Fibre+ Gig customers are getting 900 to 930 Mbps.

Note that 931 (Megabits/second) times a large power of 2 is approximately equal to 1000 times 1000 times 1000 -- the "1 Gig" speed that Shaw lists in their contracts.  Do the math: 1000*1000*1000/1024/1024/1024 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help