FYI: Blue Curve Gateway and wifi extenders

strandedonearth
Grasshopper

After recent upgrades and updates in our area, we started having issues with our Blue Curve modem's internet connection. After a bunch of fiddling around and resets, we (er, the teenager) noticed our Linksys wifi extender (which my teenager insists on using although I thought it was useless) had internet access, but the Gateway itself did not. As in, connect directly to the (network), and get no internet. Connect to the (network)-EXT and have internet, although sometimes slow.

Reset the Gateway, and once it syncs it connects and runs lickety-split for a few minutes, but then loses the internet again, but the Linksys still works. I notice the tech support line seems jam-packed...

So: remove variables. One more reset, and while that's rebooting unplug the Linksys and hide it. Haven't had a problem since, web pages are loading in a flash.

Moral of the story is: If you woke up this weekend with intermittent internet issues, unplug any non-Bluecurve wifi extenders you have while resetting the gateway. Worked for me.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

-- that is strange that the Linksys is "extending" some W...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@strandedonearth -- that is strange that the Linksys is "extending" some WiFi network, namely the WiFi network provided by your cable-modem, but you cannot connect directly to that same WiFi network.

The BlueCurve does have "band steering" -- one SSID is used for both the 2.4 Ghz and the 5.0 Ghz wireless networks. Does the Linksys repeat both those bands, such that it repeats the band that your WiFi device can connect to, while your device is not properly being "steered" to the better network?

If you power-off the Linksys, can you connect your wireless-device to the cable-modem's WiFi network?

If you turn off "band-steering" in the cable-modem, and thus give different SSIDs for the two bands, to which SSID does your device connect?

0 Kudos

The device is a Linksys RE6400. It did not show as separa...

strandedonearth
Grasshopper

The device is a Linksys RE6400. It did not show as separate bands in the network list. I haven't wanted to experiment with it since getting it running normally, as everyone is using the internet, especially after an extended near-outage. I'm just happy it's working and simply put the Linksys away. Don't need it.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help