Gateway 2, switching wireless 2.4ghz from "n" to "b/g"

kidknicky
Grasshopper

Trying to connect my Nintendo wii to my wireless network. I am pretty sure the problem is the Gateway 2 uses wireless "n" mixed networks that the Wii cannot negotiate. Here is the tech file from Nintendo:

1. Ensure the wireless mode within your router's settings is compatible with the Wii console.
    • The Wii console supports the 802.11g and 802.11b wireless formats (also labeled as "Up to 54Mbps" in some routers).
    • If the router is using a 802.11n only ("Up to 300Mbps") mode, you will need to change this setting to allow the Wii to connect to your home network.

Is it possible to change the wireless mode on the 2.4gz band to mixed "b/g" from "n" ?

The Wii actually will find the network, but it fails to complete the setup posting a 51330 error indicating internet security problem. My network is solid and the last thing I want to do is mess it up. Is it possible to only change the 2.4gh.z band without effecting the 5G band?

3 Replies

So, I would need to enable "legacy 802.11b" support on th...

kidknicky
Grasshopper

So, I would need to enable "legacy 802.11b" support on the 2.4ghz band. Is this possible through the Gateway 2?

It sux that I cannot have access to these settings as in previous shaw routers, such as the Hitron.

We are forced to use the blue curve app on our phones, why this restriction? Security?

0 Kudos

The wifi settings are managed automatically and can’t be...

rstra
Grand Master

@kidknicky  The wifi settings are managed automatically and can’t be changed, it might work if you disable 5GHz, but you probably wouldn’t want to do that. I have a couple of devices that wouldn’t connect either, so I bought a range extender.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip! That may be a working option...

kidknicky
Grasshopper

Thanks for the tip! That may be a working option...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help