Hitron Modem Wired Connection Issues

Not applicable

Have had a Shaw Hitron modem/router for several months now and have had ongoing issues with the wired connections.  Every single wired device (Sony Bravia android smart TV, Xbox One, MacBook, Apple TV 4k) has had the same connectivity issue:  the modem’s wifi works fine but booting  up a device will regularly be met with an inability to connect to the internet via wired Ethernet.

I have to reboot (unplug, replug) the modem to get back online. This can take up to 10 minutes each time, up to twice a day.  Now I find I’m having to re-sign in to some apps every time it happens.

its extremely frustrating and have changed Hitron modems at last 3 times, the last time a tech came in and noted my TV was broadcasting its own wifi signal.  I shut down everything on the TV that could have possibly been interfering wi5 the modem to NO AVAIL.  It seems to work properly for a stretch and then goes right back to being finicky.

Am getting a Cisco router this weekend, to be installed by a Shaw technician (they don’t keep this modem at their storefronts nor will they mail them to you direct, nor will they explain why they have to do it this way.) when I ask whether other customers have had problems with this router, the Shaw support person won’t tell me yes or no.  They just don’t answer the question. 

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD WIRED CONNECTIVITY ISSUES WITH THE HITRON MODEM?  Not wifi, WIRED.  

This is is my last attempt to get this issue fixed then I’m moving my business elsewhere.  

Have used Shaw for 20 years and this issue is going to break me.

Labels (1)
14 Replies

Re: Hitron Modem Wired Connection Issues

eburden
Grasshopper

I have this issue I think.

My Hitron modem is directly connected via ethernet (cat7 cable) to my Apple TV.

Everyday when I turn on the Apple TV it shows a network connection, correct IP address etc. but any attempt to connect to any content generates a timeout error, or a cannot connect to network error.

I have logged into the modem and saw that the Apple TV was not on the list of connected devices, but all my computers and phones were.

The only solution I've found is the same as you. I unplug the Hitron modem, wait ten seconds, and plug it back in.

Then turn the Apple TV back on. Today it took 45 minutes and three tries. And yes, I have to resign into my apps.

I have not contacted support about a modem replacement but I will now. The other idea I thought of trying was getting the Hitron put into bridge mode and buy another modem to run my network. But spending a bunch of money to maybe solve the problem is not my preferred choice.

ernie

0 Kudos

Not applicable

A Shaw tech came in Sept and installed a completely new and different modem and I’ve had zero issues with it since.

0 Kudos

eburden
Grasshopper

Thanks for the info. I just finished rebooting my modem again to get a connection.

Off to contact tech support now see if I can get  a new modem.

Thanks,

ernie

0 Kudos

Not applicable

when you say a new modem do you mean  just a new unit or a different model? I went to the store, swapped modems and this still happens. 

0 Kudos

eburden
Grasshopper

I solved my problem by buying an Apple Extreme modem, new to me, on eBay.

Then I had Shaw flip my Hitron modem to bridge mode. Now I run everything via the Apple modem which plays nice with the Apple TV. No problems.

And no I don't really know if the Apple TV didn't like the Hitron modem or vis versa but support couldn't help. Shaw refused to give me a new modem, either a new Hitron or the other high end modem they have in limited quantities. They told me repeatedly the Hitron modem has no issues. They obviously don't have access to the internet...there are a few people with issues with the Hitron.

I just moved on. My only other option was to go Telus. But I quit them 15 years ago and I still hold a grudge.

Everything good now. I just spent a bit of my money to fix problem...more or less as usual.

ernie

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I literally have an Apple extreme modem collecting dust. this is perfect! Thanks!

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Different model not seen in the storefront.  The tech brought it and installed it - they wouldn’t mail it & I couldn’t just go pick it up it at the storefront.

The new one works flawlessly: I can’t remember having to reboot it once since I got it.  

0 Kudos

eburden
Grasshopper

Glad I could help.

ernie

0 Kudos

tommytongue356
Grasshopper

What is the modem make and model number?

TALK TO US
We're here to help