How can I access my suspended email address?

Not applicable

I recently switched internet providers, and I was unaware that once I was no longer with Shaw my webmail would be suspended. I'm just wondering if there is anyway I would be able to access my email address just so I could transfer the emails that are still being sent there. 

Labels (1)
14 Replies

Re: How can I access my suspended email address?

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

you have to call Shaw and reactivate your email only and re add your address you had before and use your new telus account to transfer all your email. Shaw will will 4.95 for setting it up and then once you done all your transfers.  you can delete your Shaw email or leave it on for 4.95 or whichever you prefer.  

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Or transfer the email account to a friend's Shaw account.

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Hi cpmrich36 

Just to clarify, we don't actually have this option available through Shaw. Once an internet account is closed, the associated email addresses are shut down as well. As kevinds mentioned, you can have the email transferred to another active account but this would require both account holders get in touch with us directly to give permission for this. 

0 Kudos

We have had about 4 phone calls with Shaw to date and all...

Jmhc
Grasshopper

We have had about 4 phone calls with Shaw to date and all refuse to transfer our email account to another active account. Incredibly irritating finding information on here about shaw that this can be done to sit on the phone  for hours to be told you wont do it. 

0 Kudos

In addition to the above, we are still waiting for four c...

Jmhc
Grasshopper

In addition to the above, we are still waiting for four callbacks and the last person i spoke with just legitimately said “im hanging up on you now” and then did. 

0 Kudos

Is your Shaw account closed?

rstra
Grand Master

Is your Shaw account closed?

-- if your Shaw account is still open, you should be able...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jmhc -- if your Shaw account is still open, you should be able to access your E-mail messages that Shaw has been storing for you on their mail-server. If your E-mail program is configured with "IMAP", not "POP" (Post Office Protocol), then there will be up to 1 gigabyte of messages on Shaw's mail-server.

Then, what you can do, if your TELUS (or some other) account is now active, you can configure IMAP to access those messages stored on Shaw's mail-server, and copy them to "local storage" folders on your computer's disk-drive.

Then, if you Shaw account is still open, you can use the "My Shaw" portal to:

1. set automatic E-mail forwarding, so that any future messages will automatically be forwarded to your new ID. Of course, this forwarding will stop, if you completely close your Shaw account.
  2. or, delete the E-mail ID, and tell a friend to logon to their "My Shaw" portal, and to add your E-mail ID under their account. Then, as in #1 above, set E-mail forwarding.  Note that there may be a "waiting-period" between "deletion" of the E-mail ID and when that ID becomes "available" to be chosen by some other Shaw account.

How is Shaw still the only internet provider on the plane...

STOCKQUOTER
Grasshopper

How is Shaw still the only internet provider on the planet that doesn't allow you to keep your email address after you've left? I've had one at Telus for two decades and it still only costs $6.95 per month. Ridiculous!

I wouldn’t recommend anyone use the email service of thei...

rstra
Grand Master

@STOCKQUOTER I wouldn’t recommend anyone use the email service of their ISP, especially if you end up paying $6.95 a month when you leave, for what is pretty much just a gmail account with telus.net at the end.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help