How quickly does Shaw Webmail "learn" spam email?

vagike
Grasshopper

I have no idea what is happening on Shaw's side for filtering out spam.....
...but I'm getting a MEGA ton of spam since January 4, 2019.

I'm guessing that i'm approaching 5000 emails flagged.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: How quickly does Shaw Webmail "learn" spam email?

shaw-tony

Hey vagike,

I haven't heard of any reports of spam emails increasing. If they are coming from a similar user, I'd recommend reporting the headers to reportspam@shaw.ca with the steps here. I'd also recommend updating your password to something more secure with the steps here.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Yeah. Filter is a bit of a joke. I get Rona emails almost...

gordn
Grasshopper

Yeah. Filter is a bit of a joke. I get Rona emails almost daily, then randomly it’ll “possible spam” it for one, then back to normal. That’s one example of a few. But I can’t complain too much, it’s caught a lot of nefarious looking stuff. 

So...keep it up!

0 Kudos

If you logon to My Shaw, you should find an option on how...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

If you logon to My Shaw, you should find an option on how is to handle "spam" E-mail, i.e., either delete it "unseen" by you, or "flag" it by altering the SUBJECT line to add "... Suspected …".   Under the USA's "Can-Spam" law, each "spam" message must contain a "click here to unsubscribe" type of method. Omitting that method opens-up the spammer to being charged a large fine.

0 Kudos

The filtering used to work okay, but 2-3 weeks ago, there...

Mike555
Grasshopper

The filtering used to work okay, but 2-3 weeks ago, there seems to be more spam coming through (not automatically flagged and moved as I'd specified in my preferences).  Other people I've spoke to have also noticed a similar increase in Spam getting through the filter.  We suspect something changed in the Shaw anti-spam infrastructure.

0 Kudos

-- We suspect something changed in the Shaw anti-spam inf...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mike555 -- We suspect something changed in the Shaw anti-spam infrastructure.

On the other hand, I suspect that a spammer found a new way to circumvent Shaw's filters, by inserting images (think of a poster for a concert) into the body of the E-mail. The filters probably do not do "Optical Character Recognition", unlike your brain, when seeing a "poster" image.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help