Jump to solution

How to change Shaw Bluecurve IP range?

zedius
Grasshopper

I need to change my IP range from 10.0.x to 192.168.0.x because my work network is in the 10.0.0.x range so when I try to VPN from home to work my laptop is expecting to find my work's network drives on my local network.

Does anyone know how to make this change? Failing that, does anyone know where to get a comprehensive user manual for the bluecurve modem? I'm talking to support on chat right now and they won't give it to me and can't help me solve this. They're saying I need to contact a local computer tech, but I'm sure I've already found the section in the router settings I need to change and it's greyed out as if I don't have write access. So how is a local tech supposed to help me with Shaw's product when Shaw can't even tell me why it's greyed out?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> I need to change my IP range from 10.0.x to 192.168.0.x...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I need to change my IP range from 10.0.x to 192.168.0.x because my work network is in the 10.0.0.x range ...

Even after making such a change, you will have another problem, because all the routers on the Internet do not "route" any packets addressed into the "10.0.0.0/8" range, because this range of IP-addresses, like the "192.168.0.0/16" range, is allocated for use within a private network. So, the closest-to-you Shaw router will "drop" your IP packets, rather than "routing" your IP packets to the next Internet router.

Does your "work" network have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) server with a "public" IP-address?  If so, then enable your VPN client, to "tunnel" your connection, through VPN, to gateway into your "work" network.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jump to solution

> I need to change my IP range from 10.0.x to 192.168.0.x...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I need to change my IP range from 10.0.x to 192.168.0.x because my work network is in the 10.0.0.x range ...

Even after making such a change, you will have another problem, because all the routers on the Internet do not "route" any packets addressed into the "10.0.0.0/8" range, because this range of IP-addresses, like the "192.168.0.0/16" range, is allocated for use within a private network. So, the closest-to-you Shaw router will "drop" your IP packets, rather than "routing" your IP packets to the next Internet router.

Does your "work" network have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) server with a "public" IP-address?  If so, then enable your VPN client, to "tunnel" your connection, through VPN, to gateway into your "work" network.

Jump to solution

If you do not like the default Gateway Address of 10.0.0....

HAK2
Grasshopper

If you do not like the default Gateway Address of 10.0.0.1 then why not just change the Local IP Address on the Blue Curve from the default of 10.0.01 to 192.168.1.1? 

I have done that in order to not have to reconfigure my print servers fto use a new gateway address every time I change the Modem/Router hardware. Why waste time changing the network IP addresses I had established years ago for my print servers and which every one using my local network are familiar with? 

The Shaw Techs likely will not tell you how to do this as the typical Shaw customer does not have an established local network they wish to retain when the Blue Curve hardware is received from Shaw.  But, if you have an established local network with print servers, and a NAS or other devices with assigned static IP Addresses, then changing the Gateway Address on your new Modem/Router should be appealing. 

All you need to know is the following: 

(A) the IP address of the Blue Curve Modem/Router that Shaw provided you.  That IP address should be 10.0.0.1

(B) The Logon ID or Username.  Which by default is typically:  admin

(C) The Password.  If you do not know the password, just call Shaw Tech support and have them change the password to the one you want to use.  Just remember to write it down and keep it.

Then using a network cable (RJ45) plugged into your computer's NIC and into the BlueCurve RJ45 port, open up a browser on your computer,  When you are certain your computer has Internet connectivity, type in the IP Address of the Blue Curve Modem/Router in the address bar and press enter. This will open up a logon screen to enable you to administer that hardware --this is when you enter the Logon ID (username) and the password.  Press enter and you will now have access to the settings for your Blue Curve Modem/Router.

Select "Connection", then select "Local IP Address"; then using the IPv4 Section, change the "Gateway Address" to say   192.168.1.1 

If you are happy with your new Gateway Address, , Select "Save Settings"  then wait for the settings to be saved.  This will eventually require you to Logon again, but this time the IP address you enter in the Browser address bar is 192.168.1.1 ---- you will use the same "username" and "password" as before ---- all you need do is confirm your change is what you want.

I have changed Shaw Modem/Router Hardware several times over the years and I have always reconfigured the new hardware to be a clone of my existing network by using the same WIFI SSID and Password and the same Gateway IP Address range. without ever having a problem.  

TALK TO US
We're here to help