Internet 300 - faster hardwired - no change in WiFi

bmilaney
Grasshopper

I have confirmed that I have been migrated from 150 to 300.

My 'hard wired' speeds are impressive ~325 down.  My WiFi speeds have not changed. Depending on the location in my house they range from 80 to 145 down, which are virtually the same as when I was on internet 150. I have had 2 lengthy troubleshooting sessions with Shaw via chat with no improvement. I have a Hitron router and the PC I was testing from is 10 feet away from my router with a clear line of sight.  As expected, I have been asked to do a full reset of my router but I don't believe this will accomplish anything.

Because of the layout of my home, none of my devices are hard wired so in effect I have no benefit from the doubling of the speeds.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does it make any sense to go through the hassle of a complete reset?

Thanks

Barry

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: Internet 300 - faster hardwired - no change in WiFi

Not applicable

Worth trying, but also look at your devices, see if their WiFi chips will support higher speeds.

0 Kudos

bmilaney
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply.

Both devices are capable of 300+

Still not convinced the reset is worth the effort; I have many WiFi enabled devices. Might pick a time when I can spend an hour resetting devices.

B

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Have you changed your WiFi name/password?

After resetting the modem, you can log back into it and put in the same name and passwords.  Your devices will connect again.

If you can't changed from the default (shown on the sticker), resetting the modem won't change it.

bmilaney
Grasshopper

Thank you for the tip.  I thought I would have to reconnect my devices.

0 Kudos

bmilaney
Grasshopper

Well, I did the full 'backup + factory reset + restore' and I was able to keep my router settings BUT my WiFi is the same as it was on Internet 150! 

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos

Not applicable

My experience is identical... wired connection 300+ but wifi unchanged and this is with quite a good wireless router (D-Link DIR-890L).

0 Kudos

Not applicable

WiFi is very hard to troubleshoot, there are too many factors that can affect it..

WiFi is for convenience only.. 

Does it matter how far away your devices are from the modem/router?  Does being in the same room speed them up?  With no other information, I suspect your device(s) might not be able to take advantage of the faster speeds.

Check if your modem has the band settings of 80 enabled.  Something like 20/40/80/160  from memory.. 

bmilaney
Grasshopper

WOW what a difference that band setting makes! Set it at 80 and BINGO speeds instantly increased by ~45% over my speeds on internet 150!    Now getting 210+ download compared to 140ish before.

Too bad this wasn't suggested by the 'chat' support team a week ago.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Thanks kevinds!

ps: my devices are capable of speeds far greater than 300

Not applicable

bmilaney wrote:

ps: my devices are capable of speeds far greater than 300

The greater than 300 is key too..  Some devices have a 2.4 GHz 300n max rate.  At a 'link' rate of 300, half (150) can be expected as usable. 

Glad that worked.  I forgot that Shaw sets the default lower than it could be.  There are very good reasons for this, but it can limit the speeds.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help