Jump to solution

Hello, I also get the micro-outages. Never had an issue w...

Network-Admin
Grasshopper

Hello,

I also get the micro-outages. Never had an issue with Telus on my setup. I get the micro-outages with bridged mode on my home setup, AND with no setup at all, just two PCs wired directly into my shaw modem. It can be fine for days and then kick me off of a conference call or get me killed in a video game, and then all is well again. These outages last 2-4 seconds, and I never lose a single packet to my inside interface (Shaw modem 10.0.0.1) or my outside interface (public IP on shaw modem, or my own router depending if I’ve bridged it or not). The packet loss is seen to my next hop, so the issue is certainly in between my Shaw modem and Shaw’s network, or the modem itself is having a moral objection to routing my packets to the next hop. Either way it is a huge issue for me. I’m a Cisco certified network admin, and my goodness I’ll go bald if my router is blamed one more time. I’ve tried multiple routers and I’ve tried the default, Shaw modem only, wired setup that your grandma would have. The issue resides on Shaw’s infrastructure or the modems. 

I already have the “better” shaw modem - the technicolor. Shaw support always makes me do a refresh, factory reset, and say my signal strength is very strong. They never see an issue, I’m just apparently picky about wanting a problem free connection. I come here in hopes that enough of us get shaw to do something more than the usual. I absolutely have to go back to Telus at this point, being a gamer and working from home. 

Far too many chat with Shaw support have done nothing useful. I’m expecting a new modem tomorrow, and when that doesn’t work I have no choice but to payout my contract at some $300 dollars and move on, never looking back. I believe this is a software issue with the BlueCurve modems with no fix in sight, but I don’t know for sure. All I know is Shaw has done something they need to fix.

Best of luck to all, stay safe, and I hope my message helps or warns anyone that stumbles upon it.

Jump to solution

-- I have no choice but to payout my contract at some $30...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Network-Admin -- I have no choice but to payout my contract at some $300 dollars.

Pre-COVID-19, two TELUS salespeople came to my front door, and offered to "buy me out" of my current Shaw two-year Value Plan, if I switched to TELUS. I wonder if that promotion still is available.

Yesterday, Canada Post delivered a card from TELUS: $130/month for 2 years for PureFibre(tm) Internet 150/150, with 4 TV Theme Packs & 1 Premium, Crave (and Netflix) "for a limited" time, 5 free On Demand rentals, and a $300 bill credit.

So, it might not cost you $300 to "switch".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat.  I get about 1% packet loss consist...

anoot
Grasshopper

I'm in the same boat.  I get about 1% packet loss consistently, with 2-5min complete drops several times a week.  Went from bridged to normal mode, bypassed my entire network and in-home cabling etc with no improvement - it's clearly an upstream issue.

I've had a tech out twice; once to replace my old modem with a Blue curve, which fixed "uncorrectable codeword" issues and reduced my packet loss from 8% to 1%.  A second time the tech was unable to find any issues with the link to my house (using metrics I'm able to see most of via the modem interface).  I don't blame the tech; he explained that they're limited to the data on-hand and aren't made aware of greater issues upstream.

I've had Shaw internet in my house for over 10 years, and historically service has been great..  Now I'm really getting tired of these issues, and am also strongly considering buying out my contract (if I can't get it cancelled) and switching tot he recently available Telus Fiber.

The most frustrating part is the lack of acknowledgement.  If there was a known issue that could be tracked, even with an approximate ETA, it'd help.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am very sorry to hear of the troubles you've been exper...

shaw-tony

@Network-Admin I am very sorry to hear of the troubles you've been experiencing. If you can provide the traceroutes and server pings to google.ca, youtube.com, and shaw.ca. I'd like to investigate further to see why that is happening.

@anoot I haven't heard of any known issues in your area. Checking your account, the modem does continue to report a high number of uncorrectable errors, this may be related to an issue with the line from your home to the street equipment. I'd recommend having another technician visit to investigate the source of the uncorrectable codewords.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hello, The issue was resolved by swapping out my technico...

Network-Admin
Grasshopper

Hello,

The issue was resolved by swapping out my technicolor BlueCurve modem for an older hitron. It works both in a default setup and bridged mode. This unfortunately means I cannot get full speeds, and 600 and above is completely out of the question for me until the known issue with the newer modems is resolved. I’m very disappointed these modems are being rolled out with these issues. You can find many people complaining of the same problem online, especially Shaw’s forums and reddit.com 

I am unable to provide proof of the issue now that it is resolved but I hope that you can trust me. I would have 4 cmd windows running with constant pings to my modem (default gateway of my computers), my public up (outside interface of modem/router be it Shaw’s or my own), my next hop (default gateway of modem/router be it Shaw’s or my own), and google dns at 8.8.8.8. Packet loss would be observed to my router’s next hop, and google, but no packet loss was seen to my device’s default gateway or my public IP. 

Ping plotter confirmed these findings by showing that packet loss was observed to the first hop after my router (or Shaw’s modem)

The tech that came out looked at my connection and said it was really strong with new hardware and no splitters, and he suggested I demand an older hitron modem. He said he was unable to provide one because of account changes that were needed. Shaw support was good about getting me a hitron modem quickly and it immediately resolved the issue. The tech even asked I give him an update in a week because he’s seen this issue before and figured the hitron would help. I’m going on almost 2 weeks now with no micro-outages. 

Get your stuff together Shaw! These new modems have a problems. I would think only power users and gamers would  ever even notice it which is maybe why it got this far.

Jump to solution

I have no bridge, yet am having continuous issues with my...

dsteinkey
Grasshopper

I have no bridge, yet am having continuous issues with my second PoS Bluecurve modem dropping Ethernet connected devices. Seriously? You wake up in the morning and are ok selling this BS to your laying consumers?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I just started getting this problem about a couple of wee...

noeldelfin
Grasshopper

I just started getting this problem about a couple of weeks ago (late April 2021). I've never had the problem before with my decade long Shaw account.

1. If you're still with shaw, how's your connection?

2. That old Hitron modem, you could get to 600mbps but not pass? I got the 600 plan so im considering switching to that old modem if it would hold 600mbps.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I think that you may have misinterpreted an earlier po...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@noeldelfin -- I think that you may have misinterpreted an earlier posting:

2020-07-08 12:29 PM 

The issue was resolved by swapping out my technicolor BlueCurve modem for an older Hitron. ... 

This unfortunately means I cannot get full speeds, and 600 and above is completely out of the question for me

I think that what he tried to state was that the Hitron maxes-out at 300 Mbps, and that getting 600 (or any faster speed) is not achievable when using the Hitron. My Hitron delivers just over 300 Mbps for download, according to the Shaw Speed Test.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same issues with the BlueCurve.  Short...

YYC2
Grasshopper

I have exactly the same issues with the BlueCurve.  Short and intermittent wifi outages long enough to knock you off a video call or disrupt a Zoom meeting but not enough to open a chat session or make a call.  Shaw agent asked me to call when next I notice the outage so they can trouble shoot.  How?!  Stay by the phone waiting for the next 45s outage?

Shaw, please fix the modem!  You KNOW BlueCurve has this problem, PLEASE FIX IT!!!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Shaw, please fix the modem!  First, welcome to this pe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YYC2 -- Shaw, please fix the modem! 

First, welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

To contact Shaw, scroll-down to see the "Your Voice" hyperlink, and submit your comments to Shaw.

Second, if you really live in Calgary, ask Shaw Support ( www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222 ) to see if they will replace your current cable-modem with their latest "XB7" cable-modem, to see if that will address your issue. Shaw might suggest that you upgrade to their "Fibre+ Gig 1.5" service, which requires the XB7 to supply that 1.5 Gbit/second service.

Also, get Shaw Support to trouble-shoot your connection. There might be some issue, other than the BlueCurve, that is causing the symptoms.

0 Kudos