Jump to solution

Internet Connection Drops

Regis
Grasshopper

I've noticed that there's been a lot of random internet drops on my computer (It's connected to the internet via ethernet). 

Below is a log from one of the servers I host on my computer. It seems to be dropping really small packets of information. Several people have noted that they've lost connection to my computer (it disconnected them) then shortly after regained connection.

[09:27:26]: CURL ERROR: Operation too slow. Less than 5 bytes/sec transferred the last 5 seconds

Logging onto my router I found the following logs. Seems like it's a fairly common problem when I've searched Google, but have not come across an answer.

ti_dhcp6c[8471]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 82	2020/3/13 18:50:07	Critical
ti_dhcp6c[8471]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 82	2020/3/13 03:51:41	Critical
ti_dhcp6c[8471]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 24	2020/3/13 03:51:41	Critical
ti_dhcp6c[8471]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 82	2020/3/12 18:50:07	Critical
ti_dhcp6c[8471]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 82	2020/3/12 03:51:41	Critical
ti_dhcp6c[8471]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 24	2020/3/12 03:51:41	Critical

My router's specs (the DRAM used seems high.... also so does the processor speed)

Processor Speed:4000.10 MHz
DRAM Total Memory:667 MB
DRAM Used Memory:573 MB
DRAM Available Memory:93 MB
Flash Total Memory:469 MB
Flash Used Memory:436 MB
Flash Available Memory:33 MB

Other information

HW Version:11
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOT Version:0.2.8.491938
Core Version:daisy
Model:TG3482G
Product Type:XB6
Flash Part:469 MB
Download Version:7.1.1.1.69

If there's any other information needed please let me know. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I wish I could update this post as it keeps getting repli...

Regis
Grasshopper

I wish I could update this post as it keeps getting replies years later. I ended calling Shaw and having them sending me a new router. After that the issue stopped. I had another issue friend who had the same issue and Shaw was unable to see any disconnects like they couldn't with my router. He ended up calling and getting sent a new router too (and this also resolved his issue). I wonder if Shaw even fixes the routers that are faulty... it seems people keep complaining this is an issue and Shaw keeps saying "we don't see an issue on our end." Right...

Also not happy with Shaw and their very misleading "Fiber" marketing. Anyway, I'm with Telus now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
48 Replies
Jump to solution

Looks like a DNS issue.

rstra
Grand Master

Looks like a DNS issue. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You are not the only one. Although, if you talk to Shaw t...

DivinePartaker
Grasshopper

You are not the only one. Although, if you talk to Shaw they will adamantly say that there is no errors...regardless if there are 100's of people all complaining about the micro-outages. Very frustrating. Seems like most of the complaints are with the Blue Curve. My children cannot even play online games of Overwatch because they are continually booted due to these micro-outages(that are just a figment of our imagination...lol)...

Jump to solution

This IS a known issue, Shaw! If all of these forum poster...

Spiritorb
Grasshopper

This IS a known issue, Shaw! If all of these forum posters are reporting this, then it is an issue with these Blue Curve modems. When is Shaw management going to WAKE UP and LISTEN to its customers?? I have gone through 3 of these modems within 1 year, and all have had the same random internet disconnection issue on wifi. No, it isn't Windows fault, as I am using a Chromebook, which are not known to have these problems. I have a technician scheduled to come out next weekend and I will have thes Blue Curve garbage replaced with the reliable Hitron modem. Even if the internet speeds are slower with this modem, it is worth the downgrade just to have a reliable modem. Shaw needs to seriously re consider these Blue Crap  modems!

Jump to solution

Same issue all the time. We lose our phone service and ou...

Donotuseblue
Grasshopper

Same issue all the time. We lose our phone service and our internet on a regular basis. Had our modem replaced twice in less than 3 months. Terrible system. Blue curve is a waste of money. 

Jump to solution

checking your account. The signal looks solid with no err...

shaw-tony

@Regis checking your account. The signal looks solid with no errors showing up. From what I understand, you use a 3rd party router connected to the BlueCurve Modem? If so, the modem is not set in bridged mode for the router to work properly. When the modem is in WiFi mode, it will cause an IP-mismatch when you connect a 3rd party router to it. Please bridge your modem and reconfigure your router settings. What are some other troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes the signal is good most of the time. There are random...

Regis
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony 

From what I understand, you use a 3rd party router connected to the BlueCurve Modem?

This is incorrect. I only use the BlueCurve Modem as listed here https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/equipment-info-bluecurve-gateway/ta-p/5632

Specifically the Arris TG3482ER3.

The signal looks solid with no errors showing up.

Yes the signal is good most of the time. There are random interrupts however that disconnect users from my server and disconnects my from others servers.

Jump to solution

thank you for clarifying. Hmm, it may be a faulty modem o...

shaw-tony

@Regis thank you for clarifying. Hmm, it may be a faulty modem or something else is happening. Can you run a WinMTR ping to Google.ca and Youtube.com to see how often there is a drop/loss in the connection?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

>  DHCPv6 - missing required option When your computer se...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  DHCPv6 - missing required option

When your computer sends a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to your BlueCurve, the DHCP-request has some "mandatory" fields, e.g., the MAC-address of your computer's network adapter, and some "optional" fields. For some reason, the BlueCurve is demanding a field that your computer is not supplying.  Weird.

Note that this DHCP-request is using the newer "V6" protocol, not the older "V4" protocol.  The older protocol used 32-bits of information to give an IP-address, i.e., a maximum of about 4 billion unique values. Given the future where every person on the planet has multiple devices, each needing a unique IP-address, 32 bits will not be enough. So, the "V6" protocol was established, with the capability of giving a unique IPv6-address to every square-inch of land on the planet.

On your computer, within the settings of your network adapter device, disable the IPv6 protocol, leaving the IPv4 protocol active. This will eliminate those error-messages, and your computer will get send a DHCP-request to the BlueCurve, and your computer will receive an "IPv4" address in the DHCP-response, and your computer will be fully functional.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> We lose our phone service and our internet on a regular...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> We lose our phone service and our internet on a regular basis.

> Had our modem replaced twice in less than 3 months.

So, by now, I think that you can rule-out the modem as the cause of the problem.

So, what could it be?

1. the coaxial cable between your BlueCurve and your wall-port;
  2. the coaxial cable between your wall-port and the "demarcation" box, either on the outside of your house, or in a "wiring closet" on your floor in your condo/apartment;
  3. the Shaw coaxial "splitter" inside that box;
  4. the coaxial cable between the demarcation box and the Shaw box on the telephone-pole on the street;
  5. the coaxial cable between that Shaw box and the Shaw distribution centre location (the one with all the satellite-dishes outside).

Other than you replacing the cable in #1, above, or you tightening its connectors, you will need to schedule a Shaw technician to trouble-shoot each of these segments.

0 Kudos