-- That has been happening in Port Alberni for months. J...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danadams -- That has been happening in Port Alberni for months.

Just inside your home? Also to your neighbours you use Shaw Internet? To friends further away from downtown P.A. ?

What did Shaw say when you contacted them (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) ?

> In addition, when Shaw turns it down for the weekends it becomes totally unusable.

I have seen no evidence of Shaw (or any other Internet Provider) "turning-down" their service over any weekend.

0 Kudos

Well. the internet was 99% unusable on this past weekend...

danadams
Grasshopper

Well. the internet was 99% unusable on this past weekend and at least ShawOpen works today.

Didn't realize this was a forum type support site so shall pursue other avenues.

0 Kudos

-- spit happens. See Shaw's "outages" page:  https://supp...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danadams -- spit happens.

See Shaw's "outages" page:  https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/tkb-p/service-updates/label-name/vancouver%20isla...

for two items for "June 28, 2021".  So, P.A. was not the only island community to have an outage.

Note that Shaw typically deletes these notifications after a few days.
-----------------

Affected Area: Victoria (Langford)

Affected Services: Internet, Business Internet, Phone, Business Phone, Digital TV, VOD, Gateway, BlueCurve TV, WiFi Access Points

Reference Number: INC0972974

Summary: Some customers in Victoria (Langford) are experiencing an interruption to Internet, Television and Home Phone services. We are working to restore service as quickly as possible and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Live Updates:

06/28/2021 16:23 PDT Technical crews are dispatched to arrive on site to investigate this matter. Thank you for your patience.
06/28/2021 20:12 PDT Our teams have resolved the issue. Thank you for your patience!
------------------

Affected Area: Sooke (East)

Affected Services: Internet, Business Internet, Phone, Business Phone, Digital TV, VOD, Gateway, BlueCurve TV, WiFi Access Points

Reference Number: INC0972742

Summary: Some customers in Sooke (East) are experiencing an interruption to Internet, Television and Home Phone services. We are working to restore service as quickly as possible and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Live Updates:

6/28/2021 14:01 PDT Technical crews are dispatched to arrive on site to investigate this matter.
6/28/2021 15:39 PDT Services in the area have been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Still, does this mean that Shaw is still providing "99 percent uptime" ???

0 Kudos

I am in the same boat. I see u have raised this concern i...

BadInternet
Grasshopper

I am in the same boat. I see u have raised this concern in June, is the issue now resolved? 

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@BadInternet -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

If you have an issue, contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) to get them to trouble-shoot your connection, in whatever city/town you are living.

0 Kudos

Definitely I have reached out to support. Already 3 techn...

BadInternet
Grasshopper

Definitely I have reached out to support. Already 3 technician has visited.  Changed all the wires inside out the house. Modem changed as well but still we have signal drop issue. That's why i was asking the fellow member if he got any resolution 

0 Kudos

-- Already 3 technician has visited.  Changed all the wir...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@BadInternet -- Already 3 technician has visited.  Changed all the wires inside out the house. Modem changed as well but still we have signal drop issue. 

So, let's assume that the replacement modem is OK.

Do you have a 1-to-2 coaxial-splitter between your cable-modem and the coaxial wall-outlet? If so, temporarily bypass it, to connect the cable-modem directly to the wall outlet, and test it.

Did any of the 3 technicians measure the signals between the splitter hidden inside Shaw's "demarcation-box" and your devices, to confirm that the coaxial cables inside your walls are OK?  Replace any of the cables?

Did any of the 3 technicians measure the signal-strength reaching the hidden splitter inside Shaw's "demarc" box?

Did any of the 3 technicians replace the coaxial-cable between their "demarc" box and the nearest telephone pole?

Do you have any nearby neighbours on your street who have the same symptoms as you have?

Did any of the 3 technicians go "up" the telephone-pole, either with a ladder or a "cherry-picker" lift, to check the connection at that point?

Did any of the 3 technicians schedule a site-visit for a "line-technician crew", to use the cherry-picker lift?

0 Kudos

This is an old issue apparently. I've had this issue sinc...

hueseph
Grasshopper

This is an old issue apparently. I've had this issue since upgrading to Gig plus. I think it may be that the modem/router is overheating depending on how many people are logged on. That being said, I tried using an external wifi router and no dice. Not sure if disabling the internal router is possible. One tech person suggested that internal routing should be bypassed if an external router is used. I'm not so sure that that is true. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos

I am going to inject my 2 cents worth here and now as I a...

egarageca
Grasshopper

I am going to inject my 2 cents worth here and now as I am getting no satisfaction being on holds and trying some seemingly bot chat assistant..

Ever since the new neighbor moved in... let me rephrase, the windy evening the new neighbor got his SHAW installer visit, which I with my own 2 eyes, gingerly and white chuckled, climb the ladder and disrupt the box (which had been sitting dormant for the past 6 years as the previous owner sub'd to telus) upon the pole directly behind my residence ... after I finished mowing and went in to check email, I immediately knew what had just transpired. the SOB caused an intermittent fault. throughout the night, the connection which was fine other than scheduled throttling which was ramping up over past 6 months, was now struggling to make dbl digits Mbps downloads over 50% the time. numerous calls and the like only make the frustration... no by the 3rd or 4th sheer anger worse... 2  technicians and supposed, ping ponging  around the SHAW tech wires one night 4.75 hours 9 personnel later still, i'm the one that  "sir, you have no idea what you are implying" yes, caused me to slam the phone down after the airwaves i just turned typhon dark naval blue with descriptive verbiage. neither one of the guys took the time to climb the ladder and check connection (which was teetering on producing 35 Mbps on shaw 600.)  I succumbed to the suggestion and preserved composure and temptation of sticking the last techs signal meter up his _ _ _ . and ordered the much touted blue curve gig ... not anticipating either the CERAMIC SPACE HEATER  like modem or the fact that even the discourteous online assistant was pretty much illiterate or struggled as much with my life long practice of the English language as I did with his thick accent and mumbling   the "easy set up" was plagued by signal loss. it wasn't until the next evening after work that miraculously I had any useable signal at all. a few hours later it was almost hitting 300 Mbps. So ya, not happy either. now roughly 6 months later .... I butcher BOB SEGERS SONG ... STILL THE SAME!!!!

0 Kudos

-- quite the "rant". Very descriptive.  :-) > neither one...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@egarageca -- quite the "rant". Very descriptive.  🙂

neither one of the guys took the time to climb the ladder and check connection 

The most-recent Shaw installer technician that did a site-visit had a hand-held device that could electronically measure, while he was standing on the ground, the signal-strength that used to require going up that ladder. His device also showed the signal-strength reaching the cable-modem, and also showed the networked-devices connected to the cable-modem.

At times, I have contacted Shaw (online chat or telephone) and asked the Shaw Agent to remotely connect to my cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" (and other measured value) reaching my cable-modem.  Instant - no need to wait several days for a "site-visit". Maybe, you could request the same? Poor signal-strength can trigger your issues.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help