Internet security!

CD74
Grasshopper

My home network has lots of suspicious activity and Shaw has ignored all my requests for help to configure the web interface security. I am totally at a loss with all tech terminology and have no idea how to set up proper security on my network and I am seriously concerned about breaches of privacy happening.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

If you have Ignite internet, you can use the advanced sec...

rstra
Grand Master

@CD74  If you have Ignite internet, you can use the advanced security in the Home Connect app. If not, you would probably need to look at third party options.

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/advanced-security-faqs#how-does-advanced-security-help-prote...

0 Kudos

wrote: My home network has lots of suspicious activity  D...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CD74 wrote: My home network has lots of suspicious activity 

Details, please. Log-files? Observations?

If you have a spare computer, remove its disk-drive, connect an "empty" disk-drive, and install Windows from trusted media, to see if it has similar issues. Disconnect the computer from the Internet before installing Windows.  

You could temporarily install that "removed" disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive on a friend's "uninfected" computer, and get them to do a virus-scan of your disk-drive, using their anti-virus software.

0 Kudos

I have odd things happening , awdl0 , multiple ip address...

CD74
Grasshopper

I have odd things happening , awdl0 , multiple ip addresses come up with network scan on my devices even though I only have one iPhone connected. There is a device that identifies as Access point /Apxx /hitron tech/ no such device in hitron family. I will send you more info later on this is just off top of my head . 
                                                   Thank you for replying 

0 Kudos

-- do you have the HITRON cable-modem, or the newer XB6/X...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CD74 -- do you have the HITRON cable-modem, or the newer XB6/XB7/XB8 cable-modem?

What is the range of IP-addresses:

• 192.168.xxx.yyy -
  • 10.0.xxx.yyy

which are handed-out by the DHCP-servers inside cable-modems for devices on your local network, or are the IP-addresses "outside" of the above ranges?

An "Access Point" provides WiFi services, e.g., for your iPhone.

0 Kudos