Internet speed dropped to 1/3 of what it was with no changes to any equipment.

Mike_Dean
Grasshopper

My internet (Gig+ plan Ignite WiFi Gateway (Gen 2) modem (XB7)) speed averaged 350 Mbs since the start and suddenly dropped to 75 - 125 Mbs and nothing with any equipment has been changed, moved, added or altered The upload speed has not changed averaging @107 Mbs  My wifi adapter is good for 433 Mbs.  The ethernet has not changed (my adapter is good for only 100 Mbs ) and runs at 98 Mbs

Labels (2)
3 Replies

wrote: My WiFi adapter is good for 433 Mbps.  Maybe, it's...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mike_Dean wrote: My WiFi adapter is good for 433 Mbps. 

Maybe, it's time to replace that adapter, if it can only deliver 75-to-125 Mbps ???

Do you have a friend with a notebook computer that has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter, to try the Shaw Speed Test on that device, through your cable-modem?

my Ethernet adapter is good for only 100 Mbps, and runs at 98 Mbps

That implies that the cable-modem is not the "bottle-neck".

Is your computer running any other CPU-intensive tasks (virus-scan? Windows Update? malware?) that makes your computer "slow" to run the Speed Test?

0 Kudos

It consistantly ran at around 350 Mbps since upgrading to...

Mike_Dean
Grasshopper

It consistantly ran at around 350 Mbps since upgrading to Gig+ plan and then one day it dropped to 80-100 Mbps  No hardware changes or software upgrades, no other programs or browsers or virus scans and nothing else in the house connected to WiFi..It stayed there for 2-3 weeks and then yesterday it bumped  up to 140 Mbps average and a couple of times it went to 200. [ had shaw send a tech over and he said the signal is good and he removed an signal booster device that they previously had installed and he said the speed tests (including Shaw) are not accurate and don't believe them  Although th ethernet  tests always showed the same 100 ish which is the max speed on my laptop adapter. My wifi adapter is good to 433 which is plenty for me when i coulg get  test result of 350  but now downloads have seriously slowed and contrary to what the tech said I believe the tests are accurate I have ran shaws tests and they show slightly lower results. They upload speed has always stayed around 95-105 Mbps even when i was getting 350 Mbps download speeds. I download a lot and read something on the net about ISP throttling (although I have unlimited data plan),  Any thoughts on that

0 Kudos

wrote: upload speed has always stayed around 95-105 Mbps...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mike_Dean wrote: upload speed has always stayed around 95-105 Mbps

Read the "fine-print" in your Shaw/Rogers contract -- before the Rogers take-over, your contract stated 100 Mbps for uploads for your 1000 Mbps downloads.  Note that brand-new customers get a maximum of 150 Mbps for uploads.

My previous HITRON cable-modem maxed-out at 300 Mbps for download, and only 15 Mbps for upload; this was a hardware/software restriction.

Yes, the configuration inside your cable-modem "throttles" you to the speeds listed in your contract. So, if you upgrade to a faster speed, the cable-modem is remotely reconfigured -- no need for a costly "site-visit" by a technician.

Got a friend with a relatively-new notebook computer that has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet socket, and a "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" Ethernet cable who will agree to connect into a LAN port on your cable-modem, to see what the Shaw Speed Test will report? Tell us the result.

Send that "CAT-5" Ethernet cable to an "end-of-life" location, or use it to tie-up your tomato plants, since it is severely limited to 100 Mbps transmission.  Then, run the Shaw Speed Test with a replacement 10/100/1000 Ethernet cable, and tell us the result.

Did you recently move your laptop to a different location?

Did you move any furniture in the "line-of-sight" between the laptop and the cable-modem?

Did you put anything new on the walls? Wall-mount TV? Painting? Metal art-work?

What speed do you get when the laptop is in the same room as the cable-modem?

Is the cable-modem inside a cabinet?  Has it fallen-over onto its side?

0 Kudos