iPad original can't connect to Hitron modem/router

leonjanzen
Grasshopper

I recently upgraded my service, and received a Hitron CGNM-2250, but my iPad original cannot connect to it, despite the fact that the Hitron is configured for WPA2 security, which is also supported by the iPad original (I always connected my iPad to my previous ASUS router using WPA2 security). So it seems to me that it is likely a bug with the Hitron router. Has anyone else run into this same issue? (Does anyone else still have an iPad original?)

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
7 Replies

Re: iPad original can't connect to Hitron modem/router

shaw-tony

Hey leonjanzen,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any issues with the original iPad not being able to connect to the Hitron modem. When you are trying to connect to the Hitron modem, are you connecting to the 2.4G network or the 5G network? What error message do you receive when you try to connect to either network?

I will recommend a complete PIN hole factory reset with the steps here to see if it will connect to the Hitron with factory settings.

Keep me posted on how it goes.

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

leonjanzen
Grasshopper

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I have tried connecting my iPad to both the 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network, and both of them come back with the same error message: "Incorrect password", on the iPad. (Just FYI, I know that the password I'm entering is correct, as I have connected many other devices to both networks with this password). I also tried changing the password on the Hitron modem, and entering this new password on the iPad, but it responds with the same error message.

I did recently enable the guest network on the Hitron modem, which allowed my iPad to connect, likely because the guest network requires entering the password on a login webpage instead of using the normal WPA2 method. I don't like leaving the guest network turned on (fewer Wifi networks generates less Wifi interference in my house), but in the meantime, it does work.

I haven't tried the factory reset yet, partly because the modem is new, so I'm skeptical that it will make a difference, and partly because it will take time to get it back to my current settings, and reconnect all of my devices. Perhaps I'll still try it eventually...

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

I have had this error before on my home connection (I have the Hitron as well) on both my iPhone and iPad (mine is a Mini 4, though). This might be a silly question, but have you tried turning the iPad off, then back on, to see if that fixes it? That's usually been enough for me to get it to connect, so I'd give it a try if you haven't already. It's a little less invasive than a factory reset on the modem. 

0 Kudos

leonjanzen
Grasshopper

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until today. Yes, I tried multiple reboots of the iPad (and the modem) with no luck.

0 Kudos

leonjanzen
Grasshopper

So I finally did a factory reset on the modem, and in the process discovered the solution. The factory reset wasn't necessary, but it allowed me to see some configuration settings that had been hidden because I had previously enabled WPS on the modem.

With WPS enabled, for some reason it reduces the "Auth Mode" options to just "WPA2-PSK", removing the two options "WPA-PSK", and "Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK)". Apparently the old iPad only works on WPA, not WPA2. So if I turn off WPS for at least one of the frequencies (2.4 GHz or 5GHz), then I can set "Auth Mode" to "Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK)", and connect the iPad on that frequency.

It seems strange that enabling WPS should limit the "Auth Mode" options, but at least it's working this way.

shaw-tony

Hey leonjanzen, that is awesome! It may have been that settings issue that caused the networks to not be available for your device. Glad that your iPad is now able to get connected!  Let us know if you have any other questions.

0 Kudos

THANK YOU so much, Leon! I would never have figured this...

maryp
Grasshopper

THANK YOU so much, Leon! I would never have figured this out...tried everything! BIG kudos! 🙂

TALK TO US
We're here to help