is Shaw going to increase upload speeds?

uwish
Grasshopper

If you look at the plans now listed for their internet packages, it appears all of them just got a boost of upload speeds.  Not sure if this has been officially rolled out yet....last week on my fiber 750 I was getting 20 up, now they advertise 100 up.....

Labels (1)
61 Replies

Still getting ~20Mbps upload, while the Shaw.ca site adve...

PacketMan
Grasshopper

Still getting ~20Mbps upload, while the Shaw.ca site advertises 100Mbps. Multiple restarts of modem. Any Shaw staffers have an explanation for this discrepancy?

0 Kudos

Hi   I'm not nor have ever been a Shaw Employee, but I tr...

g-idk
Master

Hi @PacketMan  I'm not nor have ever been a Shaw Employee, but I tried the modem reset thing too and was a bust same upload speed.  Boy oh Boy is there going to be a lot of upset customers if this ends up being for new subscribers and not a boost up for already current subscribers.  Me myself will probably never need the increase but there are a whole lot of people asking for it. 

0 Kudos

I am not seeing any change to upload speeds.

rstra
Grand Master

I am not seeing any change to upload speeds. 

0 Kudos

Answer from Shaw: 1. The new 100Mbps upload speed is only...

PacketMan
Grasshopper

Answer from Shaw:

1. The new 100Mbps upload speed is only available to Fibre+ and Gig Internet accounts. We have an older Internet 300 plan.

2. The new 100Mbps upload speed upgrade is not yet available in our location. We are a bedroom community in a capital region, yet no higher upload speed available. Odd, given that the Shaw web site says that it is available.

Said "no thank you" to the offer to be patched through to the sales department. Need to step back and examine our needs, now that we are working from home. Who can deliver the speeds that are needed and for what price.

Frustrating.

0 Kudos

Ok I guess that is why I am not seeing it as it probably...

rstra
Grand Master

Ok I guess that is why I am not seeing it as it probably not in our town. 

Hi there, I contacted support through the chat yesterday...

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi there, I contacted support through the chat yesterday and the Shaw rep at first was not aware of the increased speeds to the Fibre + 300, 750 and Gig plans. He then confirmed that it was available but would not be available to Internet 600 customers. I asked to speak to a higher up to discuss this but the wait was too long. The Rep did note that he would escalate my concern to the higher up. I also did end up putting in a Contact Us type request with the situation noted. That was around 6PM Vancouver time and no response yet. 

There has to be more than just me who feels that especially Internet 600 customers, should get the upload of 100, based on the fact that Fibre + 300 customers are getting the 100. It is available in my area, i.e. the 100 speed but since the 600 plan is not offered, its a no go, based on my discussion with the rep. 

One option provided to me was to switch to the 750 Fibre + for a $61/month increase to my rate. I just signed up for 600 in April and at that time that was the highest speed that Shaw offered. I have Internet 600, Total Tv & Phone through Shaw.

With the Fibre + just being branding, there is no technological reason that my XB6 modem and others, can not be upgraded to 100up like the 300 Fibre + customers. 

I really hope Shaw sees that not giving the 100 upload to all their 600 customers, isn't right, based on people on 300 having a 100 up.

Apparently it is only for new subscribers.  That is what...

uwish
Grasshopper

Apparently it is only for new subscribers.  That is what I was told when I contacted support.

0 Kudos

BUT after talking with another rep.. "There is an update...

uwish
Grasshopper

BUT after talking with another rep..

"There is an update coming but it has not been rolled out all areas/modems yet. I can see your modem is still provisioned for those 20mbps speeds. Hang tight, its coming!"

0 Kudos

-- Apparently it is only for new subscribers One comment...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@uwish -- Apparently it is only for new subscribers

One comment I saw stated that new subscribers who select faster-than-300 Mbps service get the BlueCurve modem, which is technologically capable of doing 100 Mbps uploads. Those who select the slower speeds get the Hitron modem, which is not equally capable.

Of course, if the Shaw infrastructure in your area has not (yet?) been upgraded to support 100 Mbps uploads, you're stuck.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help