I am in the Parksville area. I contacted Shaw this evenin...

rickatk
Master

@PacketMan wrote:

Still getting ~20Mbps upload, while the Shaw.ca site advertises 100Mbps. Multiple restarts of modem. Any Shaw staffers have an explanation for this discrepancy?

I am in the Parksville area. I contacted Shaw this evening, asked when I could expect the faster upload speed on my Fibre + Gig plan. The Shaw tech checked my area and then reprovisioned  my Gateway. Now getting 105Mbps. Nice!

Nice. Still waiting for it in my southern interior town.

rstra
Grand Master

Nice. Still waiting for it in my southern interior town. 

0 Kudos

Exact same boat I'm in. I actually just want to drop cab...

freeborn
Grasshopper

Exact same boat I'm in.  I actually just want to drop cable and take gig fibre...I would lose my discounts but my bill would be almost the same....but they want to hit me with a 200 cancellation fee.  Currently I pay approx $150 for 600 internet home phone and TV with 3 tv pucks... would pay about the same for gig and phone.

0 Kudos

-- I actually just want to drop cable and take gig fibre....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@freeborn -- I actually just want to drop cable and take gig fibre.

There is absolutely no difference in the Shaw hardware between their previous technology and their "fibre+" technology.

It's just a rebranding by Shaw's "Marketing Department" to use the buzz-word "fibre+" to try to be equivalent to the buzz-word "fiber" that TELUS uses in its marketing.

I think that there are very few web-sites on the Internet that can "send" 600 Mbps to you, and even fewer that can "send" 100 Mbps to you. So, unless you have a house-full of "gamers" that are simultaneously using all your 600 Mbps speed, I see no need for you to upgrade to the 1000 Mbps speed.

Keep your discounts, until your two-year Value Plan expires. At that time, your current "Internet 600" plan will not be offered; you'll have to sign-up to "Fibre+ 600" or "Fibre+ gig" -- no required change to your cable-modem nor to your TV boxes.

Indeed   I am looking forwarding to spicing up my home ne...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@freeborn -- I actually just want to drop cable and take gig fibre.

There is absolutely no difference in the Shaw hardware between their previous technology and their "fibre+" technology.

It's just a rebranding by Shaw's "Marketing Department" to use the buzz-word "fibre+" to try to be equivalent to the buzz-word "fiber" that TELUS uses in its marketing.

I think that there are very few web-sites on the Internet that can "send" 600 Mbps to you, and even fewer that can "send" 100 Mbps to you. So, unless you have a house-full of "gamers" that are simultaneously using all your 600 Mbps speed, I see no need for you to upgrade to the 1000 Mbps speed.

Keep your discounts, until your two-year Value Plan expires. At that time, your current "Internet 600" plan will not be offered; you'll have to sign-up to "Fibre+ 600" or "Fibre+ gig" -- no required change to your cable-modem nor to your TV boxes.

Indeed @mdk 

I am looking forwarding to spicing up my home network now with some new hardware. I understand the new XB7 Gateway should bring with it better wifi performance including speed and range. Likewise the new pods are supposed to perform much better with greater capacity. I have one on order. 

Just switched this morning...i am aware that the service...

freeborn
Grasshopper

Just switched this morning...i am aware that the service is no different on how it is delivered but the speed increase makes a huge difference in my household...Actually my house is full of gamers but more importantly, working from home my vpn is much better with the improved upload speed.

Now I just need to swap out my xb6 for the xb7.  Going to do this this morning i think.

0 Kudos

-- reprovisioned  my Gateway. Now getting 105Mbps. Nice!...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- reprovisioned  my Gateway. Now getting 105Mbps. Nice!

Great! 

I presume that you have the Shaw BlueCurve, not the older HITRON cable-modem. From what I have read, the HITRON cannot do 100 Mbps for uploads. Or, maybe Shaw is choosing to not offer it, to encourage people to switch to the BlueCurve ???

wrote: I presume that you have the Shaw BlueCurve, not th...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

I presume that you have the Shaw BlueCurve, not the older HITRON cable-modem. From what I have read, the HITRON cannot do 100 Mbps for uploads. Or, maybe Shaw is choosing to not offer it, to encourage people to switch to the BlueCurve ???

BlueCurve Gateway (Technicolor). Fibre Plus Gig plan.

-- BlueCurve Gateway (Technicolor). Fibre+ Gig plan Thank...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- BlueCurve Gateway (Technicolor). Fibre+ Gig plan

Thanks for the information.

Despite all the "gripes" about the speed of the BlueCurve that are seen on this forum, it's good that your experience with it has been good. If I ever decide to "retire" my 4-port Hitron, that Technicolor is what I want, even if it has fewer ports. Or, maybe, its successor.  🙂

0 Kudos

i run my xb6 in bridge mode.  If you want to do anything...

freeborn
Grasshopper

i run my xb6 in bridge mode.  If you want to do anything other basic settings, I highly suggest you look at putting it in bridge mode and buying a 3rd party router.  I currently run a couple vlans with different vpns depending on the vlan.  I also capture all my logging to a third-party logging tool.  You cannot do this with this xb6.  If you just want to plug it in and use it, i a sure it operates fine

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help