Jump to solution

Is there an IP Passthrough (esp. Port Mode) option for the Shaw Fibre+ Gateway 2 (XB7)?

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Is there an IP Passthrough (esp. Port Mode) option for the Shaw Fibre+ Gateway 2 (XB7) as there is/was for the Hitron CGNM-2250 as discussed in Shaw Support article “IP Passthrough for Hitron CGNM-2250” and other earlier modems/gateways?

This mode would be of more use to me than bridging the XB7 but, I am guessing, the answer is no.

I had to give up my trusty CGNM-2250 to move to a plan (Fibre+500) with 100 Mb/s upstream. I had hoped to use at least the XB7’s WiFi to supplement my own routers’ WiFi. I didn’t want to use my routers merely as Access Points nor did I want to use double NATing. The IP Passthrough (Port Mode)  option would have been ideal.,

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

The XB6/7 do not offer ip pass through.

rstra
Grand Master

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jump to solution

rstra
Grand Master

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

As I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

Kritiker
Grasshopper

As I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

I feel like I am moving backward through time. What was, is no more. With each new ”upgrade” I can do less and less of what I could do before. It’s very frustrating.

Jump to solution

now you stuck for two years on a device hat you cannot ch...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

now you stuck for two years on a device hat you cannot change or ip passthrough to other devices.  very frustrating indeed.  I'm not with Shaw anymore as my SaskTel fiber allows ip passthrough

Jump to solution

So, why do you post here?

rstra
Grand Master

@cpmrich36 

So, why do you post here?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I don't feel stuck at all.

Kritiker
Grasshopper

I don't feel stuck at all, @cpmrich36. I am a bit frustrated about the things that I cannot change but there'll always be some of those and the unavailability of IP Passthrough on the XB7 isn't anywhere near the top of the list. 😉 

I did achieve my main goal, to go from <=15/16 mb/s upstream to <=100. The bump from 300 to 500 was a nice-to-have but not essential. Using some of the XB7's other features would also also have been nice-to-have but my initial intention was to bridge the XB7 and that works, again, perhaps not quite exactly as I expected but close enough.

I am still learning about the XB7 but some of my worst fears about it have not materialized. It seems to be working well, is quiet and once I un-bridge it, change a few settings, explore a bit and re-bridge it, I am hopeful I will be happy with it.

I have had my ups and downs with Shaw over the years, have sometimes gotten what I wanted and sometimes not. I have considered, but never threatened, leaving for the other major competitor in Manitoba but, overall, despite occasional shortcomings, I have always found the Shaw combination of TV and Internet to be the more attractive option, for me. Others might have different needs. Along the way I have also found a great many people at Shaw and here on the (now third iteration of the) Community (people like @rstra, who volunteer their time, experience and expertisewho have provided me a lot of help over the years and I thank them for that.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help