Is this possible to change an IP address?

kenming
Grasshopper

Is this possible to change an IP address?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

> Is this possible to change an IP address? Yes, but what...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Is this possible to change an IP address?

Yes, but what do you think that a change will accomplish?  What's your real problem? How have you painted yourself into a corner?  🙂

Which Shaw router do you have? Hitron? BlueCurve? older one?

On some routers, you can change its MAC-address to match ("clone") the MAC-address of one of your computers, or to any other value.

Then, restart the router, and your router will send the "new" MAC-address to Shaw, and Shaw's server will send a "new" IP-address to your router.

QED

0 Kudos

I am using the router below: Model:TG3482G Vendor:ARRIS G...

kenming
Grasshopper
I am using the router below:
Model:TG3482G
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.

How can I change my IP address step by step? 

Thank you
0 Kudos

I read through Touchstone TG3482 Telephony Gateway Users...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

I read through Touchstone TG3482 Telephony Gateway Users Guide, but did not find the necessary details.

I found a good description for Cisco's devices.

I found a good description for D-Link's devices.

Perhaps, after you read both those documents, you can adapt those "clone my MAC" instructions to your router?

0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. This router gave by Shaw, so I...

kenming
Grasshopper

Thank you for your reply.

This router gave by Shaw, so I don't have permission to change the MAC address,  which means I have fewer permissions than normal products.

So, what can I do?

0 Kudos

Unplugging your modem for a long time or swapping your mo...

rstra
Grand Master

Unplugging your modem for a long time or swapping your modem may change your ip.

> So, what can I do? Telephone or online-chat to Shaw, an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> So, what can I do?

Telephone or online-chat to Shaw, and explain to them why you need to change your IP-address.  Hopefully, they will oblige.

> Unplugging your modem for a long time or swapping your modem may change your IP.

After that "long time" (up to 48 hours), I suspect that the modem will send the SAME MAC-address to Shaw's DHCP-server, and the server will return the PREVIOUS IP-address, along with a "new" 48-hour lease.

Swapping your modem definitely will change your MAC-address, and Shaw's DHCP-server will assign a different IP-address.

Or, if you put the modem into "bridge" mode, then the MAC-address of your computer (not your router) will be sent to Shaw's DHCP-server. This "new" MAC-address should return a "new" IP-address. But, "bridge" mode will disable the modem's built-in WiFi, and limit you to using just one "wired" computer in your home.

Or, if you enable "Passthrough" on your modem, to one of the Ethernet ports, and obtain a second IP-address from Shaw, and connect your computer to that Ethernet port, your computer will use that second IP-address. Hopefully, that IP-address is not "banned".

0 Kudos

How can I enable "Passthrough" mode? Thank you

kenming
Grasshopper

How can I enable "Passthrough" mode?

Thank you

0 Kudos

It is confusing having two threads going for the same iss...

rstra
Grand Master

It is confusing having two threads going for the same issue, pick one and stick with it. Your latest post in the other thread says you can access those sites. If I read it correctly, you already swapped the modem, so your IP has changed, pass through won’t do anything.

0 Kudos

> Passthrough won’t do anything. That is not correct. If...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Passthrough won’t do anything.

That is not correct.

If your account shows that you have a second IP-address, then Shaw routes traffic for two "public" IP-addresses to your cable-modem.

One IP-address is consumed by the "router" functionality inside the cable-modem, to provide "private" IP-addresses to the Ethernet ports and to your WiFi devices, via NAT (Network Address Translation).

Traffic for the second "public" IP-address "passes-through" the cable-modem, unmodified, to a designated Ethernet port.

If @kenming connects their computer to that designated Ethernet port, traffic from the computer, into China, will show the second "public" IP-address, not the "public" IP-address that is consumed by the router.

To use Passthrough, confirm with Shaw that your account has been allocated a second IP-address, and then login to the web-interface on your router, and enable Passthrough. Connect your computer to the Ethernet port that you have configured as the target of the "pass-through" mode.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help