Mac Address Filtering

JRomano
Grasshopper

I have some smart outlets, I know their mac addresses and I want to block them from the 5ghz band because they only work with 2.4. I want to do this so I don't have to have separate networks but now Shaw seems to have removed the ability to do this unless the device is connected, device won't connect when in dual band mode. Why can't i just go in and setup the filtering on my device? Why did you remove this functionality. 

Labels (1)
3 Replies

did you previously have this set up in the modem UI or th...

shaw-tony

@JRomano did you previously have this set up in the modem UI or through the BlueCurve Gateway App?

0 Kudos

I did the setup originally through the app, using the sel...

JRomano
Grasshopper

I did the setup originally through the app, using the self guided instructions. When I upgraded to this modem I went from having 2 discrete bands to the dual band. That is when my 2.4ghz devices dropped off and wouldn't recognize the dual band as having 2.4. I came here and read through possible solutions and found the instructions to go into the modem UI to do the Mac Address filtering but the UI just shows a message to go to the app and the app has no option to setup the filtering that I could see. Right now I see my only option is to ditch dual band and force the modem to display the discrete bands separately.

0 Kudos

ah, that is certainly odd. You can bring the UI access ba...

shaw-tony

@JRomano ah, that is certainly odd. You can bring the UI access back with a factory pinhole reset. This may also get your devices to pick up the 2.4G network once again. Are your devices on the B band? The newer modem only supports wireless 802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO (modes A, G, N, and AC).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help