Jump to solution

Mesh Wi-Fi Network

rosstrilsbeck
Grasshopper

To hopefully improve my wireless network and eliminate dead spots I am planning to purchase a TP Link Deco M5 (3-pack) Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System and connect it to my existing Shaw supplied Hiltron CGNM -2250 Advanced Wi-Fi Modem with 4 ethernet ports. From what I understand one unit is plugged into an ethernet ports of the modem and the other 2 are spread around the house and connect to the system wirelessly. Can anyone tell me if this set-up will work and can the other 3 ports of the modem still be used as hard wire connections to my TVs and desk top computer?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Mesh Wi-Fi Network

corbin
Shaw Squad

If they are mesh access points (not likely), then yes. Or if you can configure them in a bridged access point mode: yes.

If the wired up mesh unit has to be a router (more likely), then no. No you cannot do that.

Edit: I googled it. Yes. You can bridge mode them and do this.

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode? | TP-Link 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

corbin
Shaw Squad

If they are mesh access points (not likely), then yes. Or if you can configure them in a bridged access point mode: yes.

If the wired up mesh unit has to be a router (more likely), then no. No you cannot do that.

Edit: I googled it. Yes. You can bridge mode them and do this.

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode? | TP-Link 

Jump to solution

corbin
Shaw Squad

rosstrilsbeck‌ - well? how did it go? if it worked, give my post a "helpful" mark.

Jump to solution

rosstrilsbeck
Grasshopper

Hi Corbin, I sent the same story as above to TP Link and they responded as follows:

"You don't have to change your main router to bridge mode, so that you TV can still connect to it to get internet. A main Deco is connected to the main router by a cable. The other two RE Deco can connect this main Deco wirelessly. You could set the main Deco as Access Point mode so the Deco network will be in the same subnet of the main router. However if the main router IP address is different from the Deco's 192.168.0.1, you could use the main Deco as Router mode, but the devices connected to Deco network won't be in the same network of the devices connected to main router network"

I've now proceeded with installation of the Deco M5 (3-pack) as follows:(1st Router Mode then Access Mode).

One Deco hardwired to a spare port on my Hiltron CGNM -2250 Advanced Wi-Fi Modem (which is a Modem/Wireless Router Combo). It has 4 ethernet ports, 3-hardwire connections (TV, desktop computer, Slingbox), I did not make any changes to the Hiltron. I located the other 2 Decos around my house and connected them wirelessly as per the step by step instruction on the TP Link app. Everything when smooth and came back on line. However I did not notice any Wi Fi Internet download speed increases away from the Hiltron. At the Hiltron 150 Mbps, away from the Hiltron it drop to about 40 to 70 Mbps. The hardwire connections were still fast 150+. I then switched to Access Point Mode using the TP Link app and the Wi-Fi results were the no better. Not impressed at this point. Maybe I got things plugged in wrong. Do you have any suggestions? I'll be calling them ASAP.

Ross

TALK TO US
We're here to help