MoCA adapter not working with BlueCurve Gateway

lkhaddon
Grasshopper

I bought a ScreenBeam Bonded MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter off of Amazon hoping I could connect my PS5 to ethernet over coax, but it has failed to connect. I have turned on the switch in the modem settings to enable MoCA connection, and ensured that my coax wiring had a MoCA POE filter, but no internet connection is made. For further info, I am using only one MoCA adapter in my bedroom, the modem (Shaw BlueCurve Gateway) is in another room of the house, and the MoCA adapter has both lights on: one for power and one for coax connection. On the admin panel of the modem, even after enabling MoCA, it still shows a red X by MoCA connection, saying the status is Unconnected. Any thoughts to why this setup isn't working?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Is your cox split as it comes in to the house? Cable in f...

rstra
Grand Master

@lkhaddon  Is your cox split as it comes in to the house? Cable in from the street to a splitter, one leg of the splitter to the modem and another to the PS5? 

Describe the cable setup and the location of the filter.

0 Kudos

The filter is connected directly to the street cable, whi...

lkhaddon
Grasshopper

The filter is connected directly to the street cable, which then goes to a chain of two 1in 4out splitters, the first splitter has the coax connected to the modem and the second splitter has the room I am trying to run MoCA through, but I assume this should work since the splitters are connected in series? please correct me if I'm wrong.

0 Kudos

If they are Shaw splitters and can handle the moca freque...

rstra
Grand Master

@lkhaddon  If they are Shaw splitters and can handle the moca frequency that the adapters use (850-1500 MHz), it should work, it should be working. Do you have cable boxes?

0 Kudos

The splitters support only up to 1000MHz so I instead add...

lkhaddon
Grasshopper

The splitters support only up to 1000MHz so I instead added in a 1in 2out splitter that supports up to 1600MHz with the modem and my bedroom as the outs, still no MoCA connection. I have 3 cable boxes connected in other rooms of the house, one in the room with the modem.

0 Kudos

Sorry I can’t help further, you may want to contact the m...

rstra
Grand Master

@lkhaddon  Sorry I can’t help further, you may want to contact the manufacturer’s support to see if they have any ideas, or maybe someone else will jump in. 

One work around would be to use two moca adapters; one connected to the PS5 and the other connected to the modem/router via Ethernet. 

0 Kudos

-- The filter is connected directly to the street cable,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@lkhaddon -- The filter is connected directly to the street cable, which then goes to a chain of two 1in 4out splitters, the first splitter has the coax connected to the modem and the second splitter has the room I am trying to run MoCA through, but I assume this should work since the splitters are connected in series? please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that the ideal configuration would be:

1. Street-cable to the MoCA filter 
  2. that filter to a "1-to-2" coaxial splitter
  3. 1 out to 1 of your "1-to-4" splitters
  4. the other out to your other  "1-to-4" splitter
  5. check the "db" levels on each "out" on your 1-to-4 splitters. If the values are identical, that's good. If one connector has a higher (in absolute value) value, that is a larger decrease in signal-strength. Connect your Shaw Phone adapter, if you have one, to that port, since the adapter is least-sensitive to lower signal-levels.
  6. If you don't need 4 "outs" on one of your splitters, it's best to replace it by a "1-to-3" splitter

This setup minimizes the drop in signal strength at each device -- much better than 2 "1-to-4" splitters connected in "series". 

It also allows all your home network devices to use MoCA, with the MoCA filter stopping all signals from reaching outside of your home, or from entering into your home network.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help