Jump to solution

What a read..ill look at it later, thank you. Bookmarked it.

shanE_
Grasshopper

What a read..ill look at it later, thank you. Bookmarked it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Interesting….so that’s how they run their IPTV service. M...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@shanE_ The hidden SSIDs are for the wireless BlueCurve TV boxes, even thought you aren’t a TV subscriber, I don’t think there is a way to disable those broadcasts. You can’t use that modem with your plan, or any plan as Shaw does not support the use of owned modems, even though that model is compatible with their internet.

Interesting….so that’s how they run their IPTV service. Makes sense. Thanks @rstra 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- so that’s how they run their IPTV service My impressio...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- so that’s how they run their IPTV service

My impression is the connection from Shaw's "head-end" to the XB6/XB7 uses the IPTV protocol, and the XB6/XB7 use HDMI protocol to connect to your TV, and some wireless protocol to connect to the remote TV boxes.  So, once the IPTV protocol enters your home, your cable-modem converts it -- there is no need for your "ancient" HDMI-capable TV to support the IPTV protocol.

Think of "peasant TV" -- your local TV stations transmit "over-the-air" in a digital format, and your TV must have a digital decoder to receive those transmissions. You cannot use an old tube-style TV that only has an analog tuner for "peasant TV".  But, the first generation of Shaw set-top boxes allowed customers to keep using their old tube-style TV and the TV's coaxial-cable input, because those Shaw boxes did the digital-to-analog conversion.

Jump to solution

In 2015 Shaw and Rogers abandoned IPTV research and signe...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk -- so that’s how they run their IPTV service

My impression is the connection from Shaw's "head-end" to the XB6/XB7 uses the IPTV protocol, and the XB6/XB7 use HDMI protocol to connect to your TV, and some wireless protocol to connect to the remote TV boxes.  So, once the IPTV protocol enters your home, your cable-modem converts it -- there is no need for your "ancient" HDMI-capable TV to support the IPTV protocol.

Think of "peasant TV" -- your local TV stations transmit "over-the-air" in a digital format, and your TV must have a digital decoder to receive those transmissions. You cannot use an old tube-style TV that only has an analog tuner for "peasant TV".  But, the first generation of Shaw set-top boxes allowed customers to keep using their old tube-style TV and the TV's coaxial-cable input, because those Shaw boxes did the digital-to-analog conversion.

In 2015 Shaw and Rogers abandoned IPTV research and signed up for licenses with Comcast. as did a number of cable cos in the US and Canada. I think for the most part they did a good job working with Comcast to preserve legacy services like the cable tv guide on demand and PVR.  Other enhancements like cloud PVR third party apps and wireless tv box has brought about good option for TV and movie viewing. The Telcos didn't have the challenge of retaining legacy capabilities rather they started with IPTV from the ground up. All said Shaw and the others have done a pretty good job.  Additional third party apps and 4K would really round out their accomplishments.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The XB6 does not use HDMI to connect to the TV, it is all...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk The XB6 does not use HDMI to connect to the TV, it connects wirelessly to the Xi6 boxes.

Jump to solution

That’s how I remember it too. Before XB6 boxes there was...

rickatk
Master

@rstra @mdk 

That’s how I remember it too. Before XB6 boxes there was BlueSky which used a hybrid setup. There was a head unit and the satellite boxes connected using coaxial (grime the head unit)and HDMI to the TVs. 

Regular TV came over QAM and On Demand came over IPTV.

I gather now everything on Blue Curve is IPTV to the wireless boxes. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, now if the wireless boxes could connect to any inter...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk Yes, now if the wireless boxes could connect to any internet connection, I could take the TV with us to our other property. 😎

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  [XB6] connects wirelessly to the Xi6 boxes  -- I gath...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra --  [XB6] connects wirelessly to the Xi6 boxes

@rickatk -- I gather now everything on Blue Curve is IPTV to the wireless boxes. 

I sense a contradiction.

In this forum, contributors complain when finding "hidden" WiFi networks still active after "bridging" the XB6, claiming that those WiFi networks are the ones that non-bridged cable-modems use to connect to the satellite TV boxes ("pods" ?). Some of the contributors call it "pollution" of the WiFi network that is being broadcast by their own WiFi-enabled router (which is connected to their "bridged" cable-modem).

So, is it really IPTV to those boxes, or WiFi ?

>  ... if the wireless boxes could connect to any internet connection, I could take the TV with us ...

That's where a notebook computer, or a tablet, can connect, and run the BlueCurve TV app, to receive TV channels. Some notebook computers have HDMI output, to connect to a portable TV. Both the computer & the TV would, of course, require electrical power.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Apple is opening up their boxes to carry all kinds of app...

rickatk
Master

Apple is opening up their boxes to carry all kinds of apps and services aggregating them into their platform. Some for monthly subscriptions of course. Disney and the Smart TVs are doing the same. Shaw offers a very select few third party apps. The one thing the Shaw boxes and service have going for themselves is Cloud PVR. This is essentially cablevisions last stand as a viewing platform. 

The video on demand aggregation (rentals,Crave and HBO) work pretty well. A few more free standing apps would make the little wireless boxes pretty appealing.

I would bet really interested if Shaw/Comcast would ever offer an app that would play their whole subscription service including; TV guide(live), and cloud PVR. Vis a vis BlueCurve app. The app could work on Shaw, Apple TV or Roku hardware for example.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

See my posts about BlueCurve app and Chrome-casting. I pi...

rickatk
Master

@rstra 

See my posts about BlueCurve app and Chrome-casting. I pick up a few Chrome-cast pods and apply to my other tv’s at the summer place and on the Moho. I was able to forget about additional accounts in the summer and use Chrome-cast and wifi. Worked very well and I saved a few $$$$.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help