Jump to solution

Modem disconnects randomly? Please Help

mahram
Grasshopper

Hi, We currently have the new Shaw Modem to go with our Shaw 150 Internet and it has been fine for over a year, however just in the past few days we've noticed that the connection drops randomly throughout the day..sometimes it is offline for 5 minutes other times it lasts for a half hour etc..

The upload and download lights on the modem turn yellow and the centre light is off whenever the modem disconnects and we get a limited connection. We tried to power cycle the modem but it does not fix the issue and we have to wait it out until it connects again

I don't know if this is a temporary issue or if there's something with our modem. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Modem disconnects randomly? Please Help

shaw-tony

Hey mahram and jimmytehfreak,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the delay in response. The forums aren't monitored as closely as our other support channels. I haven't heard of any reports of issues with the Hitron modem. It may be a signal related issue causing your modem to experience Internet drops. I'd recommend trying the steps below:

1. Unplug the power to the Shaw Internet modem
2. Unscrew the coax cable cord from both the modem and wall outlet for one minute. Ensure there are no kinks in the cable.
3. Screw the coax cable cord back into the modem and wall outlet.
4. Power up the modem, it will take about 5-8 minutes to reconnect.
5. Once it is back online, monitor to see if the connection drops again (over several days).

If the issue persists, your best bet is to touch base with a technical support member to help come to a resolution.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jump to solution

Not applicable

Ditto on the outages. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey mahram and jimmytehfreak,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the delay in response. The forums aren't monitored as closely as our other support channels. I haven't heard of any reports of issues with the Hitron modem. It may be a signal related issue causing your modem to experience Internet drops. I'd recommend trying the steps below:

1. Unplug the power to the Shaw Internet modem
2. Unscrew the coax cable cord from both the modem and wall outlet for one minute. Ensure there are no kinks in the cable.
3. Screw the coax cable cord back into the modem and wall outlet.
4. Power up the modem, it will take about 5-8 minutes to reconnect.
5. Once it is back online, monitor to see if the connection drops again (over several days).

If the issue persists, your best bet is to touch base with a technical support member to help come to a resolution.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

mahram
Grasshopper

thank you for replying, we have resolved our issue already

Jump to solution

what was the solution?

patribun
Grasshopper

what was the solution?

Jump to solution

No kidding! What an **bleep**

leapingbadger
Grasshopper

No kidding! What an **bleep**

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

How did you resolve this issue. Had tech here and he re-d...

Zdin
Grasshopper

How did you resolve this issue. Had tech here and he re-did the whole setup except replacing the modem. Now waiting till the weekend for another technician to show.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help