Modems randomly disconnect internally

Zod
Grasshopper

Got XB6 installed a month. It may suddenly disconnect from all wired and wireless internal devices. At same time, I still can access the unit thru Ignite HomeConnect app. The app shows fake status that all my devices are connected. I can restart the unit thru the APP and it will take 3 minutes to work again. 

This happens around 2 or 3 time a week. The helpdesk insists my unit has a week signal by checking from her end. My unit is connected to the cable from outside directly. Why does it disconnect internal connections while external access remains? Is it a device problem, connection problem, or even configuration issue?

Labels (1)
6 Replies

Most likely a problem with the router side. Book a servic...

rstra
Grand Master

@Zod  Most likely a problem with the router side. Book a service call to look at the modem and address the modem’s weak signal.

>  I can restart the unit thru the APP and it will take 3...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I can restart the unit thru the APP and it will take 3 minutes to work again.

That implies that the WiFi connection between the app on your device and the XB6 is functioning properly. If your device could not connect, then the WiFi hardware inside the XB6 has a problem.

> The Helpdesk insists my unit has a [weak] signal by checking from her end. My unit is connected to the cable from outside directly.

Did the XB6 replace a "legacy" cable-modem (Hitron?). If so, then I think that the exterior cable is connected to a "demarcation box" on a wall of your residence, and multiple coaxial-cables come out of that box, and (in the past) connected to multiple coaxial-cable sockets in various rooms in your residence: one cable to your Shaw Home Phone unit, one cable to your HDPVR, and one cable to the older cable-modem.

Why does it disconnect internal connections while external access remains?

I think that your internal connections (your device to the XB6) are fine, and the problem is between the XB6 and the cable-plant running up-and-down the telephone-poles on your street.

Is it a device problem, connection problem, or even configuration issue?

Slight possibility.                     Probably.                              Not likely.

0 Kudos

No, I can access and restart the modem thru mobile networ...

Zod
Grasshopper

No, I can access and restart the modem thru mobile network or from outside. Just chatted with support for second time. They will swap this brand new unit. 

0 Kudos

Yes, the app accesses the modem from the internet.

rstra
Grand Master

Yes, the app accesses the modem from the internet.

0 Kudos

Yes, your device, when connected to your cable-modem's Wi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Yes, your device, when connected to your cable-modem's WiFi, can use the app to access the cable-modem.

However, if the Agent says that you have a "weak signal", they need to dispatch a line-technician to check the coaxial-cable at the end where it connects to a box on the telephone-pole.  Also, the technician can unlock that "demarcation box", and check the other end of that coaxial-cable. Also, the technician can replace the coaxial "splitter" inside that box, if you see multiple coaxial-cables coming out of that box, running to different rooms in your residence.  Replacing the XB6 will not address any of these check-points, i.e., replacing it will not solve your issue.

0 Kudos

I mean I could only access the modem thru outside interne...

Zod
Grasshopper

I mean I could only access the modem thru outside internet while the modem shut all internal connections (wifi and wired). But it works perfectly during other days of a week. This just happened within one random day of each week. I will swap the modem today and see how it will perform.

0 Kudos