My shaw Service is coaxial what is the maximum speed I can get from this coaxial cable?

abroome
Grasshopper

I can never get the speed that I've paid for

Labels (1)
9 Replies

You can get the maximum speeds offered by Shaw.

rstra
Grand Master

You can get the maximum speeds offered by Shaw.

0 Kudos

how are you testing? wifi or ethernet SHAW an INTERNET se...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

how are you testing? wifi or ethernet

SHAW an INTERNET service provider only provides internet and wifi is not the service. Check with a hardwired connection first then get back to us. And a propper speed test not fast.com or others

-- I can never get the speed that I've paid for A few mor...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@abroome -- I can never get the speed that I've paid for

A few more details, please:

• what speed are you paying for?
  • what speed are you observing?
  • does your computer have a "Wireless G" network adapter, or the much-faster "Wireless N" network adapter, or the fastest "Wireless AC" network adapter?
  • a Windows PC needs at least a 2.5 Ghz CPU to run the Shaw Speed Test at its maximum speed.  How fast is your CPU?
  • are you using a "CAT-5" Ethernet cable, that is limited to a maximum of 100 Mbits/second? If so, use a "CAT-5e" cable, that is capable of 1000 Mbits/second.

OK?

Bought 600 got 200 2020 MacBook Air and has the .11A, G,...

abroome
Grasshopper

Bought 600 got 200 2020 MacBook Air and has the .11A, G, N, and the other numbers as well! My short cable is coaxial cable that's over 50 years old and I'm Wondering what is it maximal productivity 

0 Kudos

Reed Shaw cable Not short cable

abroome
Grasshopper

Reed Shaw cable Not short cable

0 Kudos

-- My short/Shaw cable is coaxial cable that's over 50 ye...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@abroome -- My short/Shaw cable is coaxial cable that's over 50 years old and I'm Wondering what is it maximal productivity.

Have you tried a different coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable connected into a Shaw TV box can simultaneously deliver literally hundreds of TV video/audio channels, plus 40+ channels of Stingray music -- that is a large capacity.

> 2020 MacBook Air and has the .11A, G, N, 

From a web-site:

Below is a breakdown of the various 802.11 WiFi standards and their corresponding maximum speeds.

Theoretical wireless speeds (combined upstream and downstream) are as follows:

802.11b - 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a - 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g - 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
802.11ac - 1300+Mbps (5 GHz) - newer standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput
So, if your computer is connecting via the "N" protocol, it is possible that you'll only see "150" speed.

For the record 802.11ac is not fastest wifi standard 802....

Tambora
Grasshopper

For the record 802.11ac is not fastest wifi standard 802.11ax protocol is currently the fastest 

802.11ax can deliver a single stream at 3.5Gbps, and with new multiplexing technology borrowed from the world of LTE cellular, can deliver four simultaneous streams to a single endpoint for a total theoretical bandwidth of an astounding 14Gbps.

If were being complet

0 Kudos

thanks for that. Just to add my two cents, “ax” has now b...

rickatk
Master

@Tambora wrote:

For the record 802.11ac is not fastest wifi standard 802.11ax protocol is currently the fastest 

802.11ax can deliver a single stream at 3.5Gbps, and with new multiplexing technology borrowed from the world of LTE cellular, can deliver four simultaneous streams to a single endpoint for a total theoretical bandwidth of an astounding 14Gbps.

If were being complet

@Tambora thanks for that. Just to add my two cents, “ax” has now been changed to wifi 6. The new XB7 Gateways will be wifi 6 capable. Apparently the industry is going to a more marketable naming convention.

0 Kudos

here is a little reading for you: https://www.netgear.com...

rickatk
Master

@abroome here is a little reading for you: https://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/DOCSIS31WhitePaper.pdf

Most certainly while the last mile to your house right up to your modem in fact. Shaw’s fibre network will provide you your internet signal. Docsis 3.1 routers will give the fast internet.  You may want to check on your connection status, Shaw can do that. Fear not, Fibre>Coaxial>Docsis 3.1 will be around for a while.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help