Jump to solution

Network Time Protocol (NTP)

DuandSu
Grasshopper

I asked Shaw Technical support this question and was quite surprised and disappointed to be told that they do NOT support Advanced Technical questions. I mean after all it is their network and their gateway I'm using. The question: Does the Shaw gateway allow NTP or block it. I logged into the router and looked at every possible menu selection and could not find anything regarding time. I have a Blue Ray Player with YouTube. The YouTube doesn't work and there are more than one Googled suggestion to make sure NTP is enabled and allowed on the network. I would like to be able to view if the Shaw Gateway firewall is blocking it, and/or find a flag to enable it. I also asked what NTP server Shaw might have the Gateway set to and given same "We don't support that" answer. I asked if anyone could answer the question and given the same response, with an added, "I suggest you ask a computer technical person. Anyone of those out there? 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- Does the Shaw gateway allow NTP or block it? All conne...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DuandSu -- Does the Shaw gateway allow NTP or block it?

All connections originating from a device on your LAN, such as a request to a web-site or a NTP-server are allowed "out" to the Internet through your Shaw router, and the response packets are allowed through your Shaw router to the device that opened the connection.

However, Shaw does block outbound connections that try to connect to 25/TCP, to block spammers from abusing a hijacked computer.

The Shaw router also blocks "unsolicited" inbound traffic -- hackers trying to connect to a computer on your LAN.

Capture.JPG

Windows computers can connect to any NTP-server on the Internet.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

If you have a Windows machine, you can test it.

rstra
Grand Master

If you have a Windows machine, you can test it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Does the Shaw gateway allow NTP or block it? All conne...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DuandSu -- Does the Shaw gateway allow NTP or block it?

All connections originating from a device on your LAN, such as a request to a web-site or a NTP-server are allowed "out" to the Internet through your Shaw router, and the response packets are allowed through your Shaw router to the device that opened the connection.

However, Shaw does block outbound connections that try to connect to 25/TCP, to block spammers from abusing a hijacked computer.

The Shaw router also blocks "unsolicited" inbound traffic -- hackers trying to connect to a computer on your LAN.

Capture.JPG

Windows computers can connect to any NTP-server on the Internet.

Jump to solution

Very helpful and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!!!!

DuandSu
Grasshopper

Very helpful and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help